Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning my fuel injectors today, I noticed my exhaust manifold has a crack in it..... I'm pretty sure my cat is clogged as well.... Any ideas on what affordable replacement parts I should get to replace them?

image-1917621673.jpg

image-3317951746.jpg

95 wrangler 2.5L

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dorman makes a pretty good replacement i bought mine off Amazon and payed like a $100 or so but it was for a 4.0L

Good luck though and keep us informed

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 95 2.5L. Here what my manifold looks like.
image-3014538771.jpg

image-2463271299.jpg

I've been searching for a replacement manifold and all the original replacements look like this for the 2.5L

image-966066637.jpg

What is that extra hole in the fwd manifold? I for sure don't have one nor anything else on my engine that hooks up to that..... And almost all replacement manifolds for the 95 2.5l have that hole.... I'm so lost

·
Registered
665 Posts
GGDelivery said:
I have a 95 2.5L. Here what my manifold looks like.

I've been searching for a replacement manifold and all the original replacements look like this for the 2.5L

What is that extra hole in the fwd manifold? I for sure don't have one nor anything else on my engine that hooks up to that..... And almost all replacement manifolds for the 95 2.5l have that hole.... I'm so lost
No need to worry about it, it not into the manifold it's self, just sends warm air to the air cleaner on carb'ed 2.5 for warm up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So regarding your cat I just ended up pulling mine out this summer. It was so clogged that I was loosing tons of power and could barely drive it. Luckily I live in Idaho and don't have emissions testing so $5 of straight pipe and some welding at a friends and it runs like a champ now.

·
Registered
665 Posts
GGDelivery said:
While cleaning my fuel injectors today, I noticed my exhaust manifold has a crack in it..... I'm pretty sure my cat is clogged as well.... Any ideas on what affordable replacement parts I should get to replace them?

95 wrangler 2.5L
Any good welding shop can most likely repair for you, just remove and take to them. They should be able to repair in just a few hours, they drill a hole at each end of the crack and then heat the area up and weld with a cast iron rod and let it air cool. Takes longer to get it ready and cool than to repair.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I looked into clogged cat problems, and I went with your suggestion and cut it off to run a straight pipe. When I inspected the cat, the freaking thing was gutted.... The PO just welded it there for show... An now my engine problems I thought was a clogged cat isn't..... Great... Back to square one

Oh and I used high resistance JB weld putty on my exhaust manifold crack. The first day of driving it, after it cured for 24 hours of course, the putty was like smoking lol. Now it's like the putty is welded on because of the temperature of the manifold. Worked pretty good if you ask me as a temporary fix

·
Registered
56 Posts
Still just a temporary fix...trust me its not difficult AT ALL to swap the manifold and pretty cheap as far as repairs....I would just replace it

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I'm going to replace it in about a week. Going to order a brand new manifold and swap it out. Gonna give the engine a good cleaning to before I put the new gasket and intake manifold back on. But the patch helps it for now

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have either a cracked manifold or a bad gasket... For the first 5 minutes or so of use it ticks, then it stops.
I took it in today to have it looked at and they said it was the manifold and that it would cost $580 to replace. Given everyone seems to say its fairly straight forward, and I can get the manifold at Pep-Boys for $113 is this a little expensive on the labor?
Thanks for your input...

·
Registered
60 Posts
yeah. look up banks performance and get a manifold that won't crack. you can get the manifold and a few friends to help install it and still have money left over based on that $580 quote. I think it's a great excuse to upgrade. mine might be giving up too and I couldn't be happier lol

edit: here you go. just an idea anyway. it would be cheaper in the short run to go with a new OEM manifold but if it were me, I'd have buyers remorse after the work was done. http://bankspower.com/products/show/419/98

1 - 12 of 12 Posts