Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Wrangler JK lifted rockcrawlers and 33s.
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing the jeep yesterday and noticed the windhshield had a crack going right down the center of it.

I have geico insurance and I think there’s no deductible for glass repair.

Is this bad enough to need to get it fixed ASAP?

IMG_0867.jpg

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
406 Posts
Depends on your state laws and your comfort level. If you state says it has to be replaced, do it - if your states says it doesn't but you are uncomfortable, then do it.

Reactions: branimal

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is likely just zero deductible in the event of a repair, not replacement. Usually your comprehensive insurance has a smaller deductible since it is cheaper than collision coverage. But take heart knowing that Jeep windshields are pretty cheap and may even be below your deductible, saving you the full $500 if that what it is.

The good news is that you get an OEM windshield, complete with all markings, not some aftermarket one that doesn't have the correct shading.

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
I would get that fixed. ASAP? No. I would get it fixed when you can, but to me ASAP implies some sense of urgency. A cracked windshield on a Jeep is not something I would consider urgent. Cracked windshields are all too common on a Jeep. You may find this is not the only one you will have to deal with.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I used to have Geico and they replaced (not repaired) windshield for $0, and not under comprehensive either. Admittedly, that was a nice perk.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My 2015 windshield has many cracks all over it, from top to bottom and from side to side. As well as chips all over. I see no point in replacing it until I can't see out of it anymore, as a new windshield will just start getting new cracks and chips. It's like all the pin striping. I could repaint my Jeep, but then it would just get new pin striping. What's the point?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you like the little Jeep logos on the windshield, make sure you get the OEM. Insurance will likely not pay for it, so you'll need to pay for the difference. I replaced mine, and got it cheaper than Safelite.

·
Registered
2016 Manual JKUR. 3.5" MetalCloak Lift, 37x12.5x17 BFGoodrich Ko2's, etc.
32 Posts
As of right now, I wouldn’t worry too much. I am currently on my third windshield. Both I have broken I left for months before replacing. Shouldn’t be an immediate problem. Especially that you haven’t noticed it yet, and mine hadn’t expanded much... but I do live in warm California.

However, if you are getting a new windshield I strongly recommend Mopar’s “Gorilla Glass.” As it is more expensive, it hasn’t upset me, AT ALL. After going through two normal windshields it’s been amazing. Made by Mopar too. Has all the decals and symbols on the windshield if you care about that (with a little gorrilla one extra). Anyways, it’s been great. I got it away from the dealer with install for the same price that the dealer was asking just for the OE glass. Super impressed. Worth it to check out.

Good luck in your replacement!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Geico tends to default to $250 deductible on glass replacement even if you have say $500 on your collision and/or comprehensive. So glass coverage on Geico is usually free repair, or $250 replacement. My experience with them and two windshields is at least first two replacements are oem.

If you have glass coverage make an appointment though geico with one of there thousands of affiliated class ships and bring it in to check if that is considered reparable.

If you do not have insurance for glass I suggest calling around and pricing, as this, like tires or alignment from brick and mortar, usually nets lowest price since they assume you are calling a few places.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get used to it happening and do not lose any sleep over it. Several of us have gone through multiple windshields, super common on Jeeps. Luckily, it is one of the easiest windshields for an autoglass place to replace - and most of them have replaced Jeep windshields many, many times. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you like the little Jeep logos on the windshield, make sure you get the OEM. Insurance will likely not pay for it, so you'll need to pay for the difference. I replaced mine, and got it cheaper than Safelite.
Geico will pay for oem, first two losses for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts