Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
On my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2008, I ear loud ''cracking'' noises when I'm running on the 4X4 and when I'm turning left or right.

What do you think about that? :hide:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Making any turns, particularly sharp turns where traction is good, in 4WD puts the driveline in a bind. As you turn more, parts continue to bind until either a tire slips, or something breaks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Making any turns, particularly sharp turns where traction is good, in 4WD puts the driveline in a bind. As you turn more, parts continue to bind until either a tire slips, or something breaks.
x2. NEVER run 4wd on dry pavement. Eventually you will hear something go 'BANG' and it won't be pretty.:doh:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If you're driving it in 4X4 on dry pavement your JK is telling you not to. It's not an all wheel drive system. X2 with Rod and Brewbek.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
As others have said, the transmission is binding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I understand that on dry pavement it's hard...
But the first time I ear this sound, it's on sand and soil pavement.
It's on all roads.

So according to you, something is broken?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, I understand that on dry pavement it's hard...
But the first time I ear this sound, it's on sand and soil pavement.
It's on all roads.

So according to you, something is broken?
Since the tiires are tracking diffent distances during a turn, the 4wd system will bind during turning on ANY surface. This much is normal. The binding will be worse the better the traction is, but binding still occurs even on dirt.

If you attempt a full lock turn on a dirt road there will be significant binding. Making multi-point or larger radius turns minimizes this.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I was asking because if its creaking it most likely is a bushing and not much of a concern beyond checking them.

My suspension creaks like an old woman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts