Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm looking at buying a used JK hard top that has some cracks in the fiberglass. I live in what can only be described as a frozen tundra (Canada). Given the best will in the world I won't be able to do much to fix the fiberglass (or resin or whatever the material is) until next spring.

So the question is, will the cold make the cracks worse? I've read about drilling a small hole at each end to stop the spread.

Pic of crack attach

Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
fiberglass doesn't have much dimensional change with temperature change. The top is a composite, not fiberglass, but it is a very similar material. I wouldnt worry about cracks from thermal expansion but if the top is weak enough you could crack it from vibrations and flexing. You could always clean it out and put some epoxy in there for a temporary fix

·
Super Moderator
15,365 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
When you are done repairing it, Rhino Line it

It will look better, it will hide the repair, and it will be weather proof...

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would look for a building /room that I could get the top into . Warm it up to at least 50F a use the repair kit Blue Baby is talking about. Remember you do not need the rest of the vehicle just the top to repair it. So if you do not have access to a large heated garage look for a door big enough to carry the top thru. You might also try a tent or tarp and heaters. I would also look at using hair dryer to warm the top just in the area of the repair and to keep it warm while it sets up. Wait till spring to paint or rhino line it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The top is SMC, here's what I ordered to repair mine. Haven't made the repair yet though......

3M™ Automix™ EZ Sand Rigid Parts Repair, 05883, 5 oz Tube Kit Two-part epoxy used to repair SMC, FRP (traditional fiberglass), and other rigid plastic part

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063WS0G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOC9K4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine cracked in the corner of the "C" pillar by the rear window. That's the exact stuff I used to repair it and it worked great. If you prep the crack well with a Dremel and drill the ends it binds it together well. You don't need to use much, but it will shrink so it's best to let it cure completely. I sanded mine, then used Duplicolor spray bedliner to restore the texture. It then used the Mopar hardtop paint to put the finish back on. Cane out great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts