Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the YJ family, 3 weeks (had a TJ years ago for a while).

How long should the crank time be? I haven't officially timed it, but it seems like mine will often take more than 3 seconds. Just looking for ballpark info if this is totally normal or I should do some digging.

94 6cyl

·
Super Moderator
10,677 Posts
Welcome to the Forum r3con,

My YJ is too old to compare to your crank time, but other posters with fuel injected 6 cyl. motors should be able to advise you.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If the checkvalve in your fuel pump is leaking a little you can have longer crank times... it would be more of a nuisance than a problem... I wouldn't worry too much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, that is kinda what I figured. Going in for a clutch replacement next week, so if there is something I am sure he will upsell me (jk, he is a good guy).

·
Registered
82 Posts
'94 6 cyl here--Mine is maybe 3 sec as well. I will try to check it in AM. 8-10 revolutions maybe?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My 4.0 equipped YJ also takes about three seconds of cranking to start. MY TJ with coil packs starts immediately. All the 4.0 equipped rigs I’ve owned with a distributor have taken longer to start than the distributorless rugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much everyone. I use to own a TJ, and remember it starting very very quickly, so that is why this new to me YJ made me question it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yj's CAN start quickly.... your fuel is draining back to the tank and it taked a couple seconds to pump it back up and displace the air that gets pulled in

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you just turn the ignition switch to "on" a time or two before you start it, the fuel pump will pressurize the system and it will start right up. Bad check valve.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I'll throw my stats in...
94 YJ I6
Ambient temperature range past few weeks 67-100 (only owned about six weeks)
Cold starts 4-5 revolutions.

John D

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I just went out this morning and fired mine up. It hadn't been started in close to a month and took about 1/4 of a second to start ie cha cha cha vroom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts