Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 TJ with a 6cyl. My kid was driving the day before he got his license and it was to be his. We came to a stop sign and the engine died. It will crank but won’t start. Changed fuel pump. Still won’t start. Haven’t worked on this at all. Looking for somewhere to start. Fuses good. The key light shows up on the dash when the key is on. I don’t remember that before but I could be wrong. Any help?

·
Registered
10 Posts
check for spark, then check for fuel because one is not working. Start there and follow the symptoms to the problem. It could be as simple as a relay gone bad in the fuse box under the hood or even a wire fell off the brain.
Hope all is good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also check the ASD relay. After a drive my jeep would just die. I tested in my driveway and sure enough the jeep died after around 45 min. I read something somewhere about swapping the ASD relay with another (horn) and jeep ran for hours in my driveway. worth a shot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replaced fuel pump and swapped relays. I changed the crank position sensor. The sentry light comes on on the dash and the fuel pump won’t pump. It is a fuel problem but I can’t find it. It’s like it has been disabled. It was running then when we stopped at a sign it died and would not restart. I’ve checked every fuse as well. Getting frustrating.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Does your Jeep Have a "Skim," key? If so the security may be interrupting the circuit. It will continue to do so until a "Code," is punched in to reset the circuit.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
^^
If the “sentry light” (key with a line through it) is on & assuming you have the grey (SKIM) key, that is the problem. I’m not sure that would cause it to die but certainly it will keep it from starting. Normally a SKIM fault will allow it to start for about 3 seconds, then die, 3 times. Then not start at all after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I checked all fuses under the hood as well as the ones behind the glove box. Relays as well. I have 2 keys that didn’t work. I disconnected the battery overnight to see if it would reset. No luck. Cleaned all connections. I’m wondering if there could be an electronic sensor that reads the keys and is shutting the whole system down? Anyone else have this problem? I haven’t had any other ignition problems and it died at a stop sign. If it gave out , it did it right then. The pump won’t even pressurize the lines. It’s new as well. I’m guessing it’s not getting power either. I have inspected the wiring harness and don’t see any problems. This has been a commuter Jeep with lots of miles but it doesn’t look like it was ever driven off road.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Do you have a grey key? That indicates it is SKIS/SKIM equipped.

If so, when the key light in the cluster is on, is it on solid or does it flash on & off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Won't start

Some jeeps are equipped with aftermarket alarm systems, under the dash you might find two fuses and a relay wired into your harness. If so you can check the fuses there. if they are blown it won't start the pump.:pullinghair:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Light goes off momentarily then stays on solid. It’s a long tow to the nearest dealership so I am trying to fix it myself.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You still have not said whether you have the grey key but will post this from the FSM anyway.

SKIS INDICATOR FLASHES OR LIGHTS SOLID FOLLOWING
BULB TEST

A SKIS indicator that flashes following a successful
bulb test indicates that an invalid key has been
detected, or that a key-related fault has been set. A
SKIS indicator that lights solid following a successful
bulb test indicates that the SKIM has detected a sys-
tem malfunction or that the SKIS is inoperative. In
either case, fault information will be stored in the
SKIM memory. For retrieval of this fault information
and further diagnosis of the SKIS, the PCI data bus,
the SKIM message outputs to the instrument cluster
that control the SKIS indicator and/or chime service,
or the message inputs and outputs between the
SKIM and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
that control engine operation, a DRBIIIt scan tool is
required.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think the source of the issue is SKIM/SKIS related. SKIS will not shut the engine off while diving so something else shut down the ignition and fuel system, creating the crank no start condition.

I have seen this come up a few times and it was traced down a blown ASD fuse, a wiring/ground issue, or a failed PCM. Have you tested the fuses in the PDC with a DVM to make sure they are good and that the circuits have power. If the ASD relay is not receiving power, you will get these same symptoms.

Have you noticed any other electrical issues? The SKIM, Ignition Switch, Rear Defroster, Brake Light Switch, and Seat Belt Switch all share a ground (G302, driver side kick panel).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Try doing the Cluster/Bulb test and see what the results are. If SKIM is an issue it should tell you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I’m going to swap the pcm. I do have the grey key. Two in fact. Neither works. I’m having the pcm programmed to eliminate the need for the chipped key all together. It’s an 04. If it gets stolen I will save that money on my kids insurance for a while. 😉

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Whatever you do, be sure to disable the SKIS module before installing your non-SKIS PCM. If the module is active & you start it that will automatically activate it in the new PCM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts