Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im new to the forum but scan it all the time. I need some help! My 04 wrangler x 4.0 runs fine when it starts,but starting is the problem at times. It will crank fast and strong but the gauges ie. Voltage and fuel are dead. Had it in the chrysler shop last week for two days they were getting "no bus" when hooked to the machine when it wouldn't start for them. But were left scratching their heads. This is an intermediate problem that is getting on my nerves. Im guessing its either a crankshaft sensor bad? Or computer on the way out , please help.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Welcome... personally, Im thinking neither of those things. No power to bus means no power to the computer... Makes it look bad but hey, no power is no power. I would double check all your relays, fuse panel connections, battery cables, ground wires, etc... Somewhere the voltage is getting cut to nothing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the connection at the gauge cluster no problems there battery cables are good and tight. Are there specific relays/ fuse's I should look for under the hood? Im new to jeeps this being my first and first time having to tinker with them. Also the fuses behind the glove box. Thanks for helping try to narrow this down. Im going g to check all the grounds when the weather will cooperate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You may have done this already but when I get an issue with my jeep not starting I remove both battery cables and clean them real good with the battery terminal cleaner or you can always pour coke on them does just as good of a job but a little messier. After I put the cable back on it starts like a champ. do your gages bounce around when you try to start it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep already did the deal with the battery cables. The volt gauge will move a quarter inch when you turn the hazard lights on but nothing more. The jeep ran perfectly fine yesterday started great and nothing this morning just cranking. The fuel pump does not come on when the issue occurs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I hate to bring the bad news but search no bus. So many people have had this problem with different variations. There's no clear cut fix im afraid unfortunately :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so Im not getting the "no bus" code on the odometer any longer. After cranking 5 to 10 seconds the fuel like comes on followed by the check engine light shortly after. Volt gauge and gas gauge are still dead at that point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts