Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really want to get your opinions here: (long post)

Situation: Great weekend and we have a season pass to a local large amusement / water park located in PA (but near NJ & NY). Went on Sunday in early afternoon with occasional dark passing clouds w/ sprinkles and clear all around. Chanced it and took 13 y/o daughter in Jeep Sahara w/no top. Main parking was VERY full and we ended up getting directed to start filling the most remote lot. Took a spot way out in the LAST row of the empty paved lot where it was at an angle and backed up under a tree that was in the island behind me. Also had a tree to my pass door on row-end island. Everyone here knows that a regular TJ is a bit short & I was in the back half in the spot - the main row double started at my driver door and behind. I looked at it and the thought crossed my mind that someone may initially"think" it could be a spot - maybe I should come forward a bit? A BIG dark cloud and some more sprinkles convinced me it was fine & a GREAT spot - folded the seats forward and left for the waterpark.

We come back around 6:00 and as I am walking back I see the lot is full and they used the very back grass field as overflow (which was not full) Now I was on the end, directly next to the access road and should be able to see the Jeep & can't (getting a bad feeling...). Daughter then states the obvious that someone parked in our spot in front of us. Now it WAS a great day and I am very proud of the fact that I actually kept quiet walking up - rapidly assessing the situation. Car is a somewhat older bigger Kia and about 3" off my front bumper sticking way out in the row (which was facilitated by the fact that that end was blocked off with traffic cones to help with incoming flow. So - I have a large tree in back tailgate center in a landscape island; large tree to right off pass door; car in my space in front and car in double row diagonal to back. Do a walk around and fortunately the car that was directly to left off driver door side was already gone. I think I would be able to back & forth out: either to that side or probably could barely squeak between the trees over the island hump.

HERE'S my major dilemma - this remote parking lot is basically deserted and beyond any view of the main parking area (park closes @ 10:00PM). Now, I also plow snow & jeep has the push pads and a full square bar plow mount attached low on the frame, big tires etc. Only thing VIVIDLY running through my head was putting it in low and the calculation that I would have NO damage at all when I enthusiastically shoved this car back out of MY spot. I am getting more steamed by the fact that this imbecile parked there knowing they were gone for the day and I was FULLY BLOCKED IN when they left their car half in the spot.

1) I could have involved the cops or security and had them towed (my time & hassle, but their $).

2) I easily could have shoved it back out but suspect that even this remote lot might have cameras and then it's on me (if caught)

So I settle for first getting free with my daughter spotting and then turn off and get a drink of water, lock up the back (towels & phone were in lock trunk part.) Gives me time to think and assess the situation again. I am really PISSED thinking about the type of idiot that actively chooses to do this (not exactly a stock vehicle & look either).

Conclusion: While I am a definitely a car /jeep respecting guy and have taught my kids to be the same, in my younger years I mostly likely would have retaliated in some permanent & creative fashion TBD. However, this is really not an option here or a good example for my kid. SO, I quietly explain to my daughter that this was very rude and ignorant & also against "the rules". That they knowingly did this and it would have been a pain for us to get them towed as they deserved.
However, I still wanted to send a message and ultimately settled for placing a half dozen of the very large traffic cones not so gently on their hood, roof and trunk - not the most mature thing but oh my god, it felt better than doing nothing!

Thoughts, advice, any similar situations?

I can see it sometimes getting tight parallel parking but this was extreme BS in my book...

·
Registered
98 TJ 4.0 Auto, 97 TJ 4.0 Manual, 98 TJ 2.5 Manual
613 Posts
i would have put it in 4lo and you can probably guess the rest

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Completely genius.... do potential damage to a car and post details about it on a public forum.... now all you need is for them to do a google search and maybe you can get the joy of buying them a free paint job....

·
Registered
98 TJ 4.0 Auto, 97 TJ 4.0 Manual, 98 TJ 2.5 Manual
613 Posts
Completely genius.... do potential damage to a car and post details about it on a public forum.... now all you neednis for them to do a google search and maybe you can get the joy of buying them a free paint job....
all the time m8

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You did the right thing. You set a good example to your daughter. As for the 4Lo idea, yeah it's a nice idea, but imagine if the owner came back while you were doing it?

Another thing, it's easy to assume the other driver is ignorant, but what if there was a real good reason they parked there? An honest mistake maybe?

I used to get mad all the time on the roads when someone infringed upon my use of the road. Honk the horn, give em the bird, etc. Getting angry doesn't change anything other than the outcome becoming possibly escalated further than you want it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good on you OP. It is more important to make the right decision than an emotional one. Thats what differentiates a man from a boy.

Your daughter learned a good lesson that will stay with her. Imagine if you did what every guy would want to do in your situation... which is retaliate. Your daughter would of learned a nasty trait.

The cone thing is ok I guess.. but if your going to waste time doing that, then just call the cops.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
How is piling a bunch of traffic cones on the car the right decision?
That's criminal mischief.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I looked at it and the thought crossed my mind that someone may initially"think" it could be a spot - maybe I should come forward a bit?

Thoughts, advice, any similar situations?
My thought is your first thought was your best thought & my advice is you should always pull up flush with the edge so there is NO doubt the spot is taken, this carries with it the added bonus of blocking anyone from 'taking' the back half.

Years of parking Harleys taught me one thing, visibility of your ride is critical due to the staggeringly high percentage of numbnuts whipping into parking spots they assume are empty because they don't see a giant SUV occupying the spot from a mile away. It's up to you to visibly stake your claim or suffer the consequences as occurred here. My fear was never someone blocking me in but someone flattening my bike then rolling away unseen... the same fate potentially awaits a short hidden TJ

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
I have to admit that I would have been a little more aggressive than you were in this situation. Push his car out in 4 low? Probably not but I have a can of spray foam insulation in the back of my Jeep that probably would have been used to seal his exhaust shut! A can of wheel bearing grease that would have been put under all his door handles and maybe I would air down 2 of his tires with my ARB Deflator. Why 2? Cause he doesn't have 2 spares....

Is that the right thing to do? Nope... Would it have felt good doing it? Yup!

Lesson to daughter? Stand up for yourself and don't take crap from anyone!

Needless to say if I did get to meet the driver of the other vehicle the lesson to my daughter would have been the same. It would not have been an "Oh, excuse me sir. Could you please move your vehicle?" type of conversation...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all - As I told my daughter, that 4Low would have been a "bad" bad idea
Not that there is ever any "good" bad idea ;)

There is NO way that this was unintentional and options were available closer (on Grass). While the cones were pretty immature and certainly not the best example there is a lesson in "wrong is wrong" and not putting up with crap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to admit that I would have been a little more aggressive than you were in this situation. Push his car out in 4 low? Probably not but I have a can of spray foam insulation in the back of my Jeep that probably would have been used to seal his exhaust shut! A can of wheel bearing grease that would have been put under all his door handles and maybe I would air down 2 of his tires with my ARB Deflator. Why 2? Cause he doesn't have 2 spares....

Is that the right thing to do? Nope... Would it have felt good doing it? Yup!

Lesson to daughter? Stand up for yourself and don't take crap from anyone!

Needless to say if I did get to meet the driver of the other vehicle the lesson to my daughter would have been the same. It would not have been an "Oh, excuse me sir. Could you please move your vehicle?" type of conversation...
REALLY like the expanding foam bit!! Of course needs enough time to harden, it would be a PIA, take a while to find & does not cause any really permanent damage - version of the banana or similar to the old valve stem trick :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good on you OP. It is more important to make the right decision than an emotional one. Thats what differentiates a man from a boy.

Your daughter learned a good lesson that will stay with her. Imagine if you did what every guy would want to do in your situation... which is retaliate. Your daughter would of learned a nasty trait.

The cone thing is ok I guess.. but if your going to waste time doing that, then just call the cops.
Took NO time at all :)

I'm already out! (didn't want to ruin the evening or waste time) & what is security or cop going to say other than "no problem here - stop wasting MY time"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Completely genius.... do potential damage to a car and post details about it on a public forum.... now all you need is for them to do a google search and maybe you can get the joy of buying them a free paint job....
REALLY...? No damage actually occurred & you think I would have done that? Oh and find me a black Jeep in PA, NJ or NY (try to guess the year if you are not a jeep person!)

However, they MAY have received the message that if you do this regularly, you ARE going to end up coming back to a trashed car.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I was in a similar situation once, blocked in. My only 2 options were to wait for an hour or two in hopes the blocker would eventually move his/her vehicle...or 4Lo. I chose the 4Lo option and had to "lightly tread" through/over some shrubs to get out.

Reactions: zipman35

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
REALLY like the expanding foam bit!! Of course needs enough time to harden, it would be a PIA, take a while to find & does not cause any really permanent damage - version of the banana or similar to the old valve stem trick :)
Expanding foam hardens up in just a few minutes and it does a real good job. I mean, I think it does a real good job... I wouldn't know for sure but I'm guessing... haha.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I always park at the outside of a space. I've been fooled by small cars in spaces as well and don't trust someone isn't gonna ram into me and run.
Really like the expanding foam idea. I would've probably went with the 4lo idea and pushed it outta my way but it's understandable why you didn't.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
REALLY...? No damage actually occurred & you think I would have done that? Oh and find me a black Jeep in PA, NJ or NY (try to guess the year if you are not a jeep person!)

However, they MAY have received the message that if you do this regularly, you ARE going to end up coming back to a trashed car.
You don't think placing traffic cones "not gently" on the car did not damage the paint?. Two wrongs don't make a right in my book.

I don't understand why you did not park correctly in the first place? Why did the dark cloud stop you from taking 10 seconds and jumping back in and pulling forward?
You asked for opinions so that is mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't think placing traffic cones "not gently" on the car did not damage the paint?. Two wrongs don't make a right in my book.

I don't understand why you did not park correctly in the first place? Why did the dark cloud stop you from taking 10 seconds and jumping back in and pulling forward?
You asked for opinions so that is mine.
Appreciated & understood. :)

It was raining and both trees caught the most out of brief showers and clearly NOT a space - Know it will dry (why I run no top all summer) but no reason to soak it if I could avoid it.

IMO Cones did not damage it at all - coming from 30+ years of restoring cars (not that they would have cared given the rest of the patina).

I get the two wrongs part but wanted to deliver the basic message above.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
It is Pretty Sad, when people arbitrarily decide they are entitle to infringe on someone else.
The total disrespect by individuals without a modicum of thought for another persons right.
Sounds like that person is a Dem.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Cones don't HAVE to damage the car.... they just have to give a judge reason to rule against you..

I wouldn't have blocked you in like this idiot... who just MAY have been some sweet little old lady who was just about past her driving days or someone's teenage kid who just never considered the effect on you.... it IS actually possible that they simply made a mistake....

All that said, if I caught someone doing that to my ride I promise they'd think twice next time.

There are people WAY WAY WAY crazier than me out there..... getting aggressive toward someone's car could put you and your daughter in danger..... don't you ever watch cops?

There was a guy that stabbed his own brother over the last peice of pizza.....

First you should have parked better and you knew that when you did it and second you suffered because of your OWN foolishness.... your only correct recourse other than just wiggling out and leaving was to call the police and a wrecker..... 20 minutes and you'd have been free

1 - 20 of 59 Posts