Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we were on a run and one of the Jeeps achieved a smiley face tie rod (aka: bent). I was pretty surprised just how creative trail mechanics can get. They levered the tie rod over some rocks and used body weight to bend it back to straight. Then since it was weakened obviously by the bending, they sleeved the tie rod. WITH THE HANDLE OF A HI-LIFT JACK! Seriously. Perfect length and width to fit right over the stock tie rod. He got off the trail and was able to drive home sporting his new Hi-Lift brand tie rod.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I snapped a tie rod and did the same thing. Also used 1/4" cable, comealong and ratchet straps.

Drove it 7 miles off of the trailhead and into town for a tow to the house.

Bob K.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Yesterday we were on a run and one of the Jeeps achieved a smiley face tie rod (aka: bent). I was pretty surprised just how creative trail mechanics can get. They levered the tie rod over some rocks and used body weight to bend it back to straight. Then since it was weakened obviously by the bending, they sleeved the tie rod. WITH THE HANDLE OF A HI-LIFT JACK! Seriously. Perfect length and width to fit right over the stock tie rod. He got off the trail and was able to drive home sporting his new Hi-Lift brand tie rod.
awesome :thumb: we've had a couple bent tie-rods in our adventures, but never thought to sleeve it. good to know the handle fits nicely. that's a nice piece of insurance to get folks off the trail somewhat safely.

thanks for sharing!

ever seen a serpentine belt made of zip ties?
nope!

No but id like to :)
^ yup!

·
Registered
63 Posts
We had the same issue/fix on a trail ride a few weeks ago. Snapped and sleeved with the HL jack handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
its amazing what you can do with some ratchet straps, duct tape, zip ties, and a little bit of ingenuity.

not my picture, but you get the idea

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like all these MacGyver repairs!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I once backed in to a sharp point on a rock and punched a hole in the rear diff cover. Lost all the gear oil. Sprayed the spot down with brake cleaner, roughed it up with a rock and used JB weld with leaves and pine needles to fashion some JB/leaf/needle fiberglass to patch the hole. Hole was rather large, but luckily did not interfere with the gears. Let it set and filled it back up. It held to get off the trail and for the 60 minute ride home.

Always carry JB weld with me on the trail.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pipe inside rubber hose, rubber hose on damaged pipes, wrapping o-rings with thread tape because they leak out, welding parts that bolts sheared or wallowed out holes on, nylons on stuff. Trail side u-joint surgery, fuel pump died so sat on a fender and ran starting fluid to get it to a place off trail, ratchet strap on gearbox to kind of hold it in place after tore through frame....but hi-lift for field expedient repair....nope

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
hey gang, lots of good information for the wheeling crowd in here. i'm going to sticky this thread.

keep the trail fixes coming. please keep them on topic! thanks to mommymallcrawler for putting this together! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Another time I helped a guy in a bad situation. He sheered all 5 wheels studs off on his right rear. Apparently they were all loose before he started his trek. Anyways, we pulled a stud out of each of the other three wheels and got him back rolling again. Albeit with 3 studs in one wheel and 4 in the others, but that got him out.

Another guy backed in to a stump and taco'd his exhaust. Breaker bar and a mallet got it straight enough for him to continue for the day.

·
Registered
874 Posts
This is a great idea for a thread. Zip ties, 100mph tape, baling wire, are some of the multi-use items we carry in the trail bag.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Love the highlift handle idea I previously duct taped and hose clamped a spare D35 axle shaft to a rebent tie rod to add some strength. - wasn't great and only turned a little bit but got us to the trail head.
Ether spray and lighter to set the bead on a tire a few times over the years.
JB weld on a ripped off diff cover, a ton of black RTV and 10-30 oil to get me out of the trail.
Numerous bailing wire/hose clamp exhaust fixes over the years
Replaced u joints using the highlift as a press.
Hammer and screw driver on a broken manual hub to crush the splines and then jam it on to the axle to keep Jeep in 4 wd ( had spare hubs sitting at home- doh!)
Hammered in a socket and filled in a whole in the bottom of a radiator with JB weld and filled back up with creek water.
Jammed a socket in to an alternator bracket to fix a broken idler/tension pulley.
Swamped an FJ40 in a creek up to the windshield. Popped the spark plugs out and cranked it over hooked up to jumpers and a running vehicle to get the water out, changed the oil into a Rubbermaid roughneck container and filled with a collection of different brands and viscosity of oil, started up and drove out of the trail.
Broken belt melted back together/fixed with gorilla tape
I carry a lot of spare stuff now.

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We did the burn brake cleaner to seat a bead on the trail once. I wondered why they were starting the rig on fire lol. Apparently I guess it is the "hot air expands".

This weekend we did the "ratchet strap the exhaust on" mod. Will upload a pic later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Turn inside temperature control to max heat (a/c off) and fan all the way up to help cool overheating engine if you lose your radiator cooling fan. Not the most comfortable ride inside but it's better than the alternative.

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ratchet strap exhaust repair.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts