Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Another time I helped a guy in a bad situation. He sheered all 5 wheels studs off on his right rear. Apparently they were all loose before he started his trek. Anyways, we pulled a stud out of each of the other three wheels and got him back rolling again. Albeit with 3 studs in one wheel and 4 in the others, but that got him out.

Another guy backed in to a stump and taco'd his exhaust. Breaker bar and a mallet got it straight enough for him to continue for the day.
I taco'd the exhaust on my old YJ in some mud. A few minutes with a sawzall and I had a loud day of wheeling to finish :happyyes:

Saw another one today. To reseat a tire that has come off the bead, heavy duty ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire (aka on the tread) as tight as you can get it, hit it with a little air from a compressor. The ratchet forces the tire to fill out rather than expand up - not a lot, but may be just enough to reseat the bead.
When I was a kid, I blew a bead on the rear left tire on my ATV. I rode a mile back to the house sitting on the front rack on the right side to keep all weight off the back left tire. Got home, then used that ratchet strap method to reseat it. My dad was pretty proud of that 12 year old kid haha

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
This looks fun....

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Had a friend who "Tacoed " his exhaust in the desert. He used his 45 to make holes in the pipe. I am glad I wasn't there when he did it. I had a hack saw!

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Heard one on the trail yesterday. Don't recall what part broke, but the trail solution was to weld on...a Craftsman wrench.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Broken rear axle while on a steep hill in KY. Greasing the tire so it doesn't get torn up getting off the trail.

Did this same type of fix on a TJ years ago except we used my hi-lift handle for that fix as well. Those hi-lifts sure come in handy for all kinds of uses. :happyyes:

·
Registered
610 Posts
On a run last weekend one of the jeeps had a air leak. It was coming from around the bead quite bad. We needed to break the bead, check for some type of debris around the bead and clean it up. First, in order to reduce the droop from the suspension we wrapped a chain around the axle and the bumper. Then using a hi-lift we removed the wheel. We then placed the wheel under the bumper on the opposite from where it was just removed, and using another hi-lift, we placed the base of the jack next to the wheel bead and the jack in the D-ring on the bumper and started jacking. This pushes the bead off the wheel just like a tire machine. Might have to move the wheel a couple of times but it works very well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
These are great! I'm going to start keeping JB weld in the trail bag.

Along time ago I broke a battery box and ended up dumping the battery on top of the engine.. many zip ties later and some quick wiring fixes I was able to secure it again and got off the trail.. I keep some very basic electrical supplies with me as well.
Also tacod the exhaust twice in the same spot and just removed the pipe/muffler until we finished. It sounded like a boat engine for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One time wheeling one of my buddies wasn't in a wrangler and his brake lines were not long enough or something. Well anyways we were wheeling and we think that he hit a tree stump or rock and broke his rubber brake line. Didn't notice it till later on in the trail so we stopped and looked. Ended up driving him in first gear down the mountain for about 30 - 45 minutes and used some fuel hose and clamps to fix his brake line to connect. Filled her back up and he had brakes again!! That's the worst that ive had personally haha

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
A rig grenaded its track bar bolt on our Saturday run. Solution: a ratchet handle about the same size as the bolt into the bolt hole, held in place with zipties and bailing wire.
I started replacing my hardware with grade 8 bolts, but I keep a couple of the original bolts in the Jeep just in case.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Years ago when I wheeled a CJ7, buddy got a leak in his radiator and started overheating.

Dumped two or three cans of Copenhagen into it, filled it with the remaining beer, and ran it a bit at idle until it plugged with the dip. Maybe a waste of beer... but it worked to get him home and fix it proper. To this day I always keep two to three cans of dip on me at all times!

Being young at the time (17), my CJ7 wiper blade motor went out, which was more expensive than I could afford immediately, even from a salvage yard. So we ran a bungee from the passenger mirror to passenger wiper, from there we used 5/50 cord to the driver wiper and to a small pulley tied on the driver mirror with a 'T' handle. Pull the 'T' handle, the bungee pulled it back. Needless to say, while driving in the rain with a manual transmission, I did look like I was having a seizure... :bop: I did get pulled over for this, but officer couldn't argue it worked. :tomatoes:

Best,
The Bane

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
BIG STICK THRU RADIATOR, DEEP IN THE WOODS.
Years ago in my 74 V8 CJ5 named Runaway.... :)

Supplies
Jumper cables
Pliers
Flashlight battery
Wheel weight
Screwdriver
Socket set 3/8

I didnt come up with this but it worked great.

Pulled the radiator, cut out the broken tubes at the tank with the screwdriver
Hooked jumpers to battery, ground cable to radiator.
Cut a D size battery open and there is a carbon core in the middle, pull that out
Put carbon core in positive battery cable, used that as as " arc welder" to melt the lead into the holes in the tanks where the tubes were cut out. Carbon core glowed bright red when touched to radiator. Reinstatalled rad, Ran it that way 100 miles home and for the next 2 weeks til I had money for a new radiator. I was amazed but worked great! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trail Air Filter Hair Dryer

On more than one occasion sucked up some muddy water into air filter. Simply take it out and use the exhaust to blow the mud and water out.
Clean, dry and ready for the next water hole.

Great thread!

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Yesterday one of the group's TJ hit a stump head-on and snapped its drag link.

We used a Hi-Lift jack handle as a sleeve around the drag link and a ratchet strap to keep everything together. He was able to make it off the trail on his own power then a club member went and fetched his trailer.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts