Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Broken Rear Trackbar

I broke my rear trackbar off last week, ratchet straps from axle to frame on each side. Drove it home on the interstate 65mph with no shake or issues. Actually drove it to work the next day and then got it welded.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
When someone breaks an axle housing on the trail and is able to get it back off....can you typically re-weld the break, or do you need an entirely new axle? Sorry for lame question, but it appears to happen a lot.

Great thread! I will be adding to my kit!

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
ArmyofMike, It all depends on the break, some can be welded , others you would be better off replacing. You can weld anything back together, if do right, can be much stronger than the original......but there is a point of diminishing returns....

·
Registered
461 Posts
I broke my rear trackbar off last week, ratchet straps from axle to frame on each side. Drove it home on the interstate 65mph with no shake or issues. Actually drove it to work the next day and then got it welded.
I would look into a trackbar bracket that braces from the axle tube as well, not just bolted to the little trackbar mount.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
Not exactly a trail fix, but. Many years ago heading to Lake George on the Northway at about 0200 we over heat. Pop the hood, and there's the radiator cap sitting on the air cleaner. My buddy did the under hood checks topped up coolant got side tracked and forgot to put the cap back on prior to the trip. We sat around for a bit, let the engine cool down and topped it off with water from the cooler, and Molson red label ale. After the vacation, we flushed the cooling system and refilled with the proper coolant.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Not a Jeep repair, but still a cool one. Many years ago, in my misspent youth, we were riding in our Scout leader's van on the highway when Wham! the glass expansion tank exploded. We jury-rigged a new one using one of our tin canteens, and made it back the last 200 miles. Scouts are like jeepers - nothing stops them!

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
After trailing last night, my sway bar ended up flexing downward to my drag link, and was messing with my steering.

I fixed this by using a pair of jacks to slowly put pressure on the sway bar until it popped back into place.

I was proud of my minor fix. Especially since I was doing this in the presence of my girlfriend and her friend (both of which don't know how to work on vehicles)

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
How do you fix a tail pipe so bent it rubs on your rear tire?
Winch it back straight!

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
Rancho posted this one on their FB page...

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Awesome trail repairs! I'll be stocking up supplies in my trail bag after reading this thread.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Do ratchet straps to fix broken chairs on the trail count as creative trail repairs?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
About 35 years ago my buddy and I ran across some kid with a blown out sidewall in the desert. Just a dirt road near the highway. His Dad had bought him the truck and it was running Maypops. Anyway, we had two rolls of duct tape on our truck for some reason and totally wrapped this kid’s tire in duct tape. We have him a little air and it was enough to get him to the road where he had to hitch a ride to get a tow truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
As they say, necessity is the mother of invention!

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
I would look into a trackbar bracket that braces from the axle tube as well, not just bolted to the little trackbar mount.
Look at the Rock Krawler bracket.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts