Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's the best...

Had a CJ-7 with a carburetor. Full pump went out. Emptied the washer fluid reservoir, siphoned gas from the tank, filled the reservoir and used the windshield washer pump to send fuel to the carb. Got me off the trail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a thought. Be careful with those trail repairs. We had a woman locally who had a trail repair done and on the way to the campsite it failed and caused an almost fatal accident. Which should remind us to be extremely careful checking the road worthiness after a trail repair. Be safe out there.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Just a thought. Be careful with those trail repairs. We had a woman locally who had a trail repair done and on the way to the campsite it failed and caused an almost fatal accident. Which should remind us to be extremely careful checking the road worthiness after a trail repair. Be safe out there.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Good point. Anything that's not up to road-worthy standard should be only used to make it off the trail and into cellphone range to call for roadside assistance (or a buddy's trailer)

·
Registered
104 Posts
years ago, snapped the clutch linkage in an early Bronco, used trailer cable seals to replace. Drove it for a week until i could get the part. Worked great

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fuel pump went out on old carb system. Used windshield washer res for gas tank, ran hose to top of carb and zip tied. Use washer switch to add fuel, throttle for air. Lots of refills.

Brake line (hard line) broke on a JK. Used tubing from rear washer and some hose clamps as a cap. It swelled pretty good but got us off the trail.

Had a tire get a massive hole punched in the side wall. Used flex seal and some paper towels on inside and out. Guy got out the woods and drove 60 miles home on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will contribute with a non Jeep fix, but my other ride. An 07 ZZR 600. Had issues on a cross country trip up HWY 61 from LA to MN. In MS it kept cutting out and found out the fuel pump had snapped a wire. So we slept in a soy bean field off hwy 61 and woke the next day to ask the neighbors if they had a solder iron. No such luck. Well low and behold my buddy had a vape box (modded vape device with a coil) took the cotton out and viola a solder iron. Got the bike to Tupelo where the whole pump grenaded. Mind you this is labor day weekend in the south. Not much open and a stock fuel pump was 2 days out. So it now has an 87 Monte Carlo fuel pump and has been going strong for the last 20,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
I enjoy these stories. I have a few of my own, but not really Jeep related as we have been lucky so far with our Jeep. But I have done things like drive across the country with no alternator and a generator tied onto the tongue of the trailer with a cord running up through the open rear window of the van and all the way to the dash where it tapped into the fuse box. Or rigging an idler pulley in the middle of nowhere Kansas. Or duct taping a socket in to act as a spacer to locate the rear wheel on my racebike when the rear chain adjuster failed.
But the one thing that does scare me a little is when people use a trail repair not only to get off the trail but also to drive home on the interstate. I am not saying it can't be done, but I hope due caution is being used. We recently had a lady around here break on the trail. They repaired it and got her off the trail. But they did not realize how badly it was broke, and on her drive home (on the interstate) the wheel came off and she was in a terrible accident.
I love creative trail repairs. But always be careful.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts