Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey hey everybody, has anybody tried a creeper breather kit yet? trying to decide between this kit ( TGI140207-1-KIT ) or running longer axle breather lines.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would suggest simply running longer breather hoses. It is inexpensive, easy to do, rugged, and ensures the inside of the axle is always at atmospheric pressure. You can extend the stock hoses using couplers or run new longer hoses. I used transmission cooler hose when I did mine, as it seemed much more flexible compared to fuel line. If you have done any suspension work, make sure you adjust the hoses to allow full suspension droop. Run the front up into the engine bay, and run the rear up behind the pass side tail light.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had a kit like that and just ended up not even using it. I sold it for like half of what I paid for it and just extended the lines that mattered. In the end I think it's much easier to do it the DIY way. And much cheaper too.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I like my breather creepers for my axles, work great, I have had them installed for 5 years with no issues. My Manual Transmission and the transfer case I just extended with 5/16 fuel line hose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Extending the breather lines may be cheaper but I think iam going to try the creeper breathers. Revyjku08 how do the creepers hold up to mud?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
you can actually buy the exact same part on amazon for a lot cheaper. They are used on the Suzuki Eiger ATV. They work great as long as you arent running ARB's. a little bit of leaking around the collar is going to happen and suddenly you have a 150PSI balloon attached to your axle.

the hardcore toyota guys use the hell out of them.

since you already have a fitting on the axle, just buy this and save a lot of money.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWTB0WK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
33,940 Posts
I replaced mine with transmission line and ran them all longer. The
photo show them before I tucked them in! Front diff, Trans & T case the rear diff is up behind the right tail light.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Extending the breather lines may be cheaper but I think iam going to try the creeper breathers. Revyjku08 how do the creepers hold up to mud?
Work well in the mud....as I have not lost one yet! Just ensure you clamp them well onto the diff. nipple.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Revyjku08 do you have them on both the front and back axles? Also do you have a dana 30 in the front?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Revyjku08 do you have them on both the front and back axles? Also do you have a dana 30 in the front?
yes both axles....and I have D30 front and D44 Rear.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Got a Creeper Breather sitting here in front of me. I have to say I am somewhat hesitant to put it on.

Reasons being 1 review on Amazon states - "Great concept, but they do not have enough capacity to expand with the heat. If your seals have a weak spot, you will be reselling very shortly after installing these. Stick with a small tube running into you taillight with a filter on it."

I guess I can see how that might happen as the CB is rather rigid. With that being said this concern is also mentioned here -www.lowrangeoffroad.com/do-it-yourself-rubber-differential-breather-bellow.html

I just wonder how these things deal with elevational changes. I can easily change 4,000' in an hour or 2 or better yet 8,000' in about 4 hours like last Fri. But maybe that is just a mute point when I go shopping an see potato chip bags from sea level at 4,000'. But heat expansion is not in the equation.

The CB is easily compressed but is hard to expand at least by hand. Those of you running them have you seen them change much in size from cold to hot operation? That and what elevations are you at?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It cost me about $35 and 45 minutes to extend my front and rear axle breathers. Fuel line and a couple of clamps. I used about 5 feet in the back and about 6 feet in the front. The rear I ran into the rear left taillight area and the front I ran up to the firewall.

Mike

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ya, I think that is what I'm going to do. Except I think tranny hose is the thing to use. Not as rigid as fuel hose.

Read some reviews over on the Yota sites and the Creeper breather gets mixed reviews. All the way from works fine to oil leaking because of pressure build up. Seems to work fine on purpose built rigs but not DD like mine. Not a gamble I'm willing to take.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts