Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much reading and discussion etc I have come up with the following items to improve the audio in my Jeep.
Its a 2015 Wrangler Sahara 4-door with basic 130 HU and NO Alpine system.
I am on a bit of a budget, trying to do the best I can.

Kenwood DMX7706S $399
iDatalink Maestro $114
iDatalink Factory Integration $23
Antenna Adapter $11
Dash Kit $8

Kicker 11HS8 Compact Sub $200

Grand Total $755

I am hoping this improves my audio experience a ton and also adds some much needed base. Thoughts?

I could also consider a speaker upgrade.
I have no clue if I would need an amp for this setup or in the future.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Not bad and you will get some bass improvement. But understand the compact sub will not give you big base. We really don't have room for subs that can unless we want to get rid of what little storage space we have. 8/10 inch shallow/compact subs though provide very quick and responsive base perfect for things like rock, county and the like. Not good for hip hop or classical. You probably want to set the cutoff at 125hz.

If you are considering an speaker upgrade get out there and listen to them and chose what you like. You should get an amp to power them properly.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I have the kicker hideaway. It was pretty good mounted to body pan with sheet metal screws, but then I added an underseat bracket (eBay) and dynamat to it for a remount. It is sooooo much better now. I recommend looking into the bracket and dynamat is also avail on eBay. 2 10x10 sheets is what I used, you can get away with one 10x10 though if you wanted

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not bad and you will get some bass improvement. But understand the compact sub will not give you big base. We really don't have room for subs that can unless we want to get rid of what little storage space we have. 8/10 inch shallow/compact subs though provide very quick and responsive base perfect for things like rock, county and the like. Not good for hip hop or classical. You probably want to set the cutoff at 125hz.

If you are considering an speaker upgrade get out there and listen to them and chose what you like. You should get an amp to power them properly.
Thanks for the reply. I'm really torn on the sub. I do like to listen to hip hop from time to time. I've seen other subwoofers but they seem to all run $700-$1000 alone. Any suggestions on an improvement there that doesn't break the bank?

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
All looks goo except for one thing. No amp or upgraded speakers.
I would recommend at minimum.

New speakers throughout: The MOPAR KICKER upgrade 6.5" and OEM Alpine 3.5 is a nice combo.

Small amp, similar to the Alpine KTP44U. Kicker makes one as well and does a few others. Compact and fits.

I had the kicker HS8 Hideaway and now the Alpine 8" powered sub. I preferred the kicker and it was enough to thump my car. At least inside for any music including Hip hop.
Was mounted under the passer seat on a tray and fired up. The Alpine is using the Alpine brackets and now fires downward giving a better sound. But the Kicker kicked more and a slight deep bass.
Both allow you to keep space and now be a option for thieves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All looks goo except for one thing. No amp or upgraded speakers.
I would recommend at minimum.

New speakers throughout: The MOPAR KICKER upgrade 6.5" and OEM Alpine 3.5 is a nice combo.

Small amp, similar to the Alpine KTP44U. Kicker makes one as well and does a few others. Compact and fits.

I had the kicker HS8 Hideaway and now the Alpine 8" powered sub. I preferred the kicker and it was enough to thump my car. At least inside for any music including Hip hop.
Was mounted under the passer seat on a tray and fired up. The Alpine is using the Alpine brackets and now fires downward giving a better sound. But the Kicker kicked more and a slight deep bass.
Both allow you to keep space and now be a option for thieves.
I really appreciate this reply. If I stick with the Kicker HS8 Hideaway I think I can add the speaker and amp upgrades as well.
Are there certain amp features I need to look for? I guess I could just go with the Alpine KTP44U.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Dayton ultimax subs are a good low cost sub, you can get the sub an american bass monoblock amp for $350ish but you’re going to have to build the enclosure.

I’m a firm believer in building a system from the front back. 90%+ of what you hear is your front components, I would focus my money here and add a sub later.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm really torn on the sub. I do like to listen to hip hop from time to time. I've seen other subwoofers but they seem to all run $700-$1000 alone. Any suggestions on an improvement there that doesn't break the bank?
To get hard hitting bass you really need a sub that has lots of speaker excursion. It all comes down to the amount of air that can be moved. Shallow subs tend to be more accurate and response is better but they don't hit as hard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dayton ultimax subs are a good low cost sub, you can get the sub an american bass monoblock amp for $350ish but you’re going to have to build the enclosure.

I’m a firm believer in building a system from the front back. 90%+ of what you hear is your front components, I would focus my money here and add a sub later.
Which speakers do you recommend for the front? Thanks for the reply. I’m starting to get things narrowed down.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
For speakers you really need to get out and listen to them. I have no problem recommending my Audison VOCE speakers for the front but not everyone is going to spend $650 bucks for the pair. In addition you need an amp to run them properly. But we all have different ears and budgets and have to work within them. When comparing speakers use songs you are familiar with, just a couple and use them for the compare. In this way you can narrow your choice down fairly quickly. The best speaker will be the one you like best, not what we tell you.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Which speakers do you recommend for the front? Thanks for the reply. I’m starting to get things narrowed down.
LIke terryc6 said it’s really a matter of budget and personal preference. I have morel tempo ultras and love them, the only reason I wouldn’t buy them again for a new build is that I like to try different things. I had audison prima components in my previous car and really liked them as well. If I was looking at an entry level speaker I’d look into morel maximos, these have a high sensitivity so they will still sound good if you wanted to add them right away and add an amp later on. For a more middle of the road priced components I like the ones I already mentioned and the hertz high energy line, I have the hertz high energy hx250d and it’s a great all around sub for someone who listens to a bit of everything. For a higher budget focal has some nice components but I don’t care for their offerings for less than $800, if I was to go active I would have gone with audiofrog.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went with the Alpine iLX-107 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX107/Alpine-ILX-107.html
And the Alpine pwe-S8. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PWES8/Alpine-PWE-S8.html
I like this sub because it has a physical knob to turn the bass up and down on the sub. I mounted it under the passenger seat firing up. I listen to a lot of hip hop and I would liken the sound to a good factory system in other vehicles I’ve owned. I can tell you that the bass seems louder when I have my hardtop on but it is still adequate when I have the top and doors off. I put Velcro on the bottom of mine and stuck it to the carpet. I don’t ever plan to have water in my floorboards so I’m not too worried about that.
I did put the kicker speakers in my roll bar and knee speakers before I did the above and really like the gain I got from that even with the stock head when I put the new HU it was amazing. kickers
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F92M6NC/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_VDRsDbP4JX4HQ

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
I really appreciate this reply. If I stick with the Kicker HS8 Hideaway I think I can add the speaker and amp upgrades as well.
Are there certain amp features I need to look for? I guess I could just go with the Alpine KTP44U.
All very similar, but the Alpine KTP-44U is nice. if you want MORE power, then the Alpine KTA-30FW is nice. I am using that one now and works very well. Barely larger than the Powerpack.

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/weather-resistant-audio-amplifier-kta-30fw

Also remember, what is you audio goal? Its still a Wrangler and sound will never be as nice as another vehicle IMO due to acoustics. So for me, throwing $2-5K into speakers, subs, etc is pointless.
Also what your music source? My its SiriusXM or Spotfy. So all that fancy stuff is wasted due to the source.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You can buy a winch and some headphones for that much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts