Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1323 Posts

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been back and forth the past couple weeks in choosing my BBK setup. I was looking for something with a bigger upgraded caliper, and bigger rotors. I was planning to piece me a Mopar BBK, or get Teraflex or Black Magic, however I came across Crown Automotive last pm.

I confirmed with Quadratec that they use Ram calipers so I can upgrade my brake pads to preference. Their rotors are 13" so it might be slightly smaller than some competitors at 13.25. I'll measure once received.

68157611AA
Fits Jeep:
Jeep Wrangler (JK) (2007-2017) w/ RT31046 Brake Upgrade Kit.
Jeep Wrangler (JK) (2008-2017) export model.

Ram 1500 (DS) (2009-2017)
Ram 1500 (DR) (2006-2008) w/out SRT package.

Dodge Durango (HB) (2007-2009)
Dodge Dakota (ND) (2005-2011)
Dodge Raider (NM) (2006-2010)

Chrysler Aspen (HG) (2007-2009)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH9ftiTMB6Q

Last, I was basically piecing out kits. 100 each for BBK bracket (x2), Calipers (125x2). That's over 450 already not including brake pads and rotors. I got this kit for $435.50. No Brainer.

I will also order the rear teraflex kit at a later date as well as the Mopar Master Cylinder and Booster.

I'll give you my biased thoughts once received/installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yup, apparently Ram 1500 calipers. Once you get your mc and boost you're going to wonder why you waited so long. It was the single best upgrade I did as far as safety is concerned. From what I understand the quality of Chinese rotors varies, and not all rotors come from China. Blaine said he sells both Chinese and I think Taiwan or S Korea ? I told him I didn't want Chinese. He said not all Chinese rotors are the same. Evidently there are a few different factories. The point is that he said he has the best Chinese rotors and he inspects each one ( I believe him ) so it didn't matter what I got. As luck would have it they weren't from China.

I think Dynatrac's rear rotors are 14" or slightly larger. They're massive but expensive. Wonder what size Tera us using ? There is a huge difference between 13" and 14"

·
Registered
376 Posts
Trust me you want Mopar's MC/Boost. You don't need the rear rotor kit ( it would give you more balanced braking ) but you'll be missing the real advantage of your BBK if you don't add the MC/boost. If money is an issue ( it's an issue with everyone : ) plan on getting it as soon as possible. I waited two or three years only because Mopars kit wasn't available ( that I knew of ) when I finally got the MC/boost installed there was a huge improvement in modulation/pedal pressure/braking power. It's a no brainer trust me. Just make sure you bleed the brakes well. Someone can install the whole nine yards and still have sub par braking. A good bleed job with all fresh Dot 3 and you'll be a happy camper :)

Dynatracs rear kit is only about $100 more than TF. It's worth spending the extra money imo.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That's a really great price. You'll see how much bigger the MC/boost is compared to stock. It's a tight fit with both but not too bad. Just take your time. You have a 6 speed right ? You're going to need one of these too....
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-11098/overview/

It's a Wilwood MC remote reservoir kit. It's not hard to figure out how to hook it up. I could take a few pics of mine if needed. You're going to have some awesome brakes soon :thumb:

·
Registered
376 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
The wilwood does not go to the MC. It's for your clutch. There's a line ( tube ) coming off your stock MC reservoir ( lower right ) that goes to your clutch slave cylinder. The new MC doesn't have a port to hook the clutch line in. That's why you need the wilwood.

You need to couple the end of the line that went into your old MC to one end of the tube on the wilwood. I bought a brass fitting at Home Depot. You'll need two small clamps. It's really easy once you have everything there. Then figure out how to secure the reservoir. I used two sheet metal screws. Then fill it with Dot 3.

Make sure everything is done correctly before filling the reservoir. If you get in a jam ( I doubt it ) you could always post. I'll try to help. One thing for sure....you're going to have some awesome brakes.....better be looking in the mirror if you have to stop suddenly....because someone could rear end you....:happyyes:

Reactions: dawhitesJKU

·
Registered
376 Posts
You're welcome. One last thought. You're probably going to have a lot of nose dive when braking hard.....especially if you don't have any geo correction brackets and have stock springs/shocks. Even with them your front end will want to dive somewhat. Of course a lot depends on springs/lift/shocks etc .....

Getting the rear rotor kit will effectively eliminate nose dive ( or greatly reduce it if your suspension is mostly stock ) Braking is a lot more controlled with my Dynatrac rear kit. Stopping is a lot flatter....no nose dive even under extreme braking. My Geo brackets really help with that too.

Reactions: dawhitesJKU

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Keep us posted @dawhitesJKU

I'm thinking of upgrading my brakes as well. Is there any advantage of the Mopar big brake kit?

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@DRBReno i'll give you my thoughts once installed. BTW, its being shipped directly fron Crown at Sparks, NV

Calipers
Teraflex states 56mm (but I read that they use the same ram 1500 caliper)
Crown and Mopar use the same (ram 1500) so it should be 54mm

Rotors
Teraflex states 13.25
Mopar states 13 but actually 13.25
Crown states 13 ... i'll confirm actual size tonight if I get it.

All are very close to each other in terms of #'s except for price.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
So really, both Mopar and Crown are using the same parts...

Now I'm curious if we were to just buy OEM Ram 1500 parts if it would be cheaper...

Reactions: omfgitsniko

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Feereless hey bud. The mopar kit is very similar since its using the same calipers for the ram. The mopar does come with the upgraded brake booster/upgraded master cylinder. it is on national backorder (mopar).

Price wise ... the Crown is 435.50 from QT using price match, and the brake booster/master cylinder is 230 from N4x4. I also had to factor in the reservoir from wildwood since I have a manual transmission ($29). That leaves me at 694.50. It's actually 619.50 since I have a 75 gift card from n4x4. Last, I forgot to tell my rep about the WF discount so I could've gotten the brake booster/MC a bit cheaper from N4x4.

Mopars price varies from 800-899 but i'm sure you could use the dealer's accessory discount, however it is on national backorder when I called earlier this week.

1 - 20 of 1323 Posts