Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1323 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Help me out, are these the same?

The price difference and the fact that North Ridge calls it the J8 and Quadratec says "for D60" is making me question myself
These 2 are in fact, the same kit. I got mine from Northridge @ about $239 last September. It was a nationwide back ordered item for MONTHS. By the time mine arrived their price had already gone up substantially. Call a couple of your local dealers' parts department to see if they have the specific part number. If they do, grab it! My local guys told me based on their system back then, they could see there were 662 back ordered kits across the US. Thats just dealers. Then every single independent retailer was also out. Worth a search on the web. But don't order from the shops that show "ready to ship" until you call first. All of them were simply not updated then. Also,believe it or not, look on Amazon! They carry it from time to time.
On a side note, it's worth ever dime. The brakes on my fat lifted/35s/rear storage/winch/titan fuel tank JK are efging fantastic.

Reactions: Victor Ward

·
Registered
579 Posts
These 2 are in fact, the same kit. I got mine from Northridge @ about $239 last September. It was a nationwide back ordered item for MONTHS. By the time mine arrived their price had already gone up substantially. Call a couple of your local dealers' parts department to see if they have the specific part number. If they do, grab it! My local guys told me based on their system back then, they could see there were 662 back ordered kits across the US. Thats just dealers. Then every single independent retailer was also out. Worth a search on the web. But don't order from the shops that show "ready to ship" until you call first. All of them were simply not updated then. Also,believe it or not, look on Amazon! They carry it from time to time.
On a side note, it's worth ever dime. The brakes on my fat lifted/35s/rear storage/winch/titan fuel tank JK are efging fantastic.
Thanks for the info. I'll ride my stock brake for the remainder of my days before I give anything to Amazon or Wal-mart. Im going to put in an order with Quadratec and play the waiting game. It was -16F when I woke up this morning so waiting a few months to install it is fine with me

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Just did my rear pads and new rotors Saturday. I used the Duralast Gold rotors with the Elite pads. I waited too long before changing my pads and started hearing what I thought was the wear sensor starting to rub. There is no wear sensor and the inside pad on the right rear was completely worn off. They made it 65,000 miles which is much longer than most here report.

The fronts are in good shape and will last until it warms up a bit. I am thinking about the Crown BBK for the front end. The upgraded master cylinder I will hold off on until I increase my tire size to 35" at some point.

I've had 2 leaking tires in 3.5 years and Les Schwab has repaired them both for free. I'm glad I didn't have a flat on my left rear. While doing the rear brake job I had a difficult time getting the left rear wheel off. The right rear came off as expected and both rotors came off without and need to hammer things loose. And those clips! those things are more wild than Mexican jumping beans! o_O

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll ride my stock brake for the remainder of my days before I give anything to Amazon or Wal-mart. Im going to put in an order with Quadratec and play the waiting game. It was -16F when I woke up this morning so waiting a few months to install it is fine with me
You prolly misunderstood. That's not some Chinese seller on Amazon. Thats a small retailer reaching bigger audiences. (Now, where some parts are made?? Ehhhh thats a different story LOL)
BUY yea, you can place order and just wait a bit. Eventually they do show up. 👍

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had heard about them being backorder and saw quadratec was selling it for much cheaper than others. I ordered mine a couple months ago from qtech, expecting to wait awhile, but I got it within a couple weeks

·
Registered
579 Posts
You prolly misunderstood. That's not some Chinese seller on Amazon. Thats a small retailer reaching bigger audiences. (Now, where some parts are made?? Ehhhh thats a different story LOL)
BUY yea, you can place order and just wait a bit. Eventually they do show up. 👍
No, I didn't misunderstand, I'm sure its authentic

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
1. Will the bigger MC make a difference if I am using the OEM calipers w the Teraflex big rotor kits?
2. Has anyone found a way to run the ARB twin compressor under the hood w the larger MC?
Maybe move the bracket back a bit?

·
Registered
711 Posts
1. Will the bigger MC make a difference if I am using the OEM calipers w the Teraflex big rotor kits?
2. Has anyone found a way to run the ARB twin compressor under the hood w the larger MC?
Maybe move the bracket back a bit?
1. Has your overall braking improved with the TF Bif Rotor Kit "only" to the point you feel you are done with this upgrade/mod project? IF YES, and your pedal does NOT feel mushy, long or soft, then the answer is NO. IF however, your pedal feels in any way mushy or soft, then the answer is YES.

2. There is no way to install the J8 Mopar BBK IF your compressor is mounted under the hood. The brake booster is much bigger than stock, and so is the M/C and the reservoir. It even says so in the instructions, if you look closer. Some retailers post it on the order page. You can easily move it to under the passenger seat thou, and solve all your problems, including the extreme heat and possible water on the ARB which is no bueno. Even if you could, you'd have to remove the entire set up first in order to install the new, bigger BBK, so as might as well move it then

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here's that project...

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Look at the size of this thing!:)...its a straight forward install thou!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 JKUR
1,123 Posts
holy cow was this a rabbit hole I fell into. I feel fine with my brakes but started thinking about upgrading just to be safe. 37s is a lot bigger of a tire than factory.

·
Registered
579 Posts
2. There is no way to install the J8 Mopar BBK IF your compressor is mounted under the hood. The brake booster is much bigger than stock, and so is the M/C and the reservoir. It even says so in the instructions, if you look closer. Some retailers post it on the order page. You can easily move it to under the passenger seat thou, and solve all your problems, including the extreme heat and possible water on the ARB which is no bueno. Even if you could, you'd have to remove the entire set up first in order to install the new, bigger BBK, so as might as well move it then
On the topic of compressors now, I read in the Northridge Q&A section of the J8 Booster/MC that the under hood Evo mount for the singe ARB compressors still works. Can anyone conform that?

·
Registered
711 Posts
holy cow was this a rabbit hole I fell into. I feel fine with my brakes but started thinking about upgrading just to be safe. 37s is a lot bigger of a tire than factory.
HAHA right? Yeah, it's purely on you to decide how your rig stops. Most ppl don't even think about it (IF everything feels fine like yours) until there's a situation for a panic stop or something odd, and then BOOM, here it is: issue!
Stock JKs stop pretty okay for my taste; some ppl will argue that too, but ehhhh, they seemed okay when my Jeep was bone stock.
Then you start adding bumpers, sliders, winch, shackles, lift, bigger tires and bigger wheels (these things are what? 90-100lbs EACH??!!more for your 37s!), and a roof rack, and some drawers, and a fridge, and some extra batteries, and some air compressor systems, and some.....whoa whoa whoa. You can't really ask the little stock/factory rotors and little calipers to stop that f*ucking thing now LOL
Overall, I think it was well worth the upgrade. Expensive, but worth it. I think it was under $1,500.00 for EVERYTHING, including new, longer SS break lines (as might as well do those too!)

Reactions: Lloydrage

·
Registered
711 Posts
On the topic of compressors now, I read in the Northridge Q&A section of the J8 Booster/MC that the under hood Evo mount for the singe ARB compressors still works. Can anyone conform that?
Ohhhh interesting! I did NOT know that! That's worth a phone call for sure!

Reactions: bill61

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I would think if you stomp on the brakes and the anti-lock braking kicks in then you're OK. If you can't get the anti-lock to kick in then you are not stopping as well as you should/could and it's time to upgrade the brakes.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I just looked it up. Looks like the EVO bracket is for the ARB Single (not the Dual) unit, or other small comressors, and it mounts above the MC. Therefore it should work.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I put my order in seven days ago with Qtec who was showing the product out of stock. FedEx has it on the truck for delivery today. That's pretty damn good

·
Registered
711 Posts
I put my order in seven days ago with Qtec who was showing the product out of stock. FedEx has it on the truck for delivery today. That's pretty damn good
NICE! You definitely caught it at a good time. Let me know if you got any issues with install! You'll love the set up. Well worth it! (Bleed the sh*t our of all 4 corners!)

·
Registered
579 Posts
NICE! You definitely caught it at a good time. Let me know if you got any issues with install! You'll love the set up. Well worth it! (Bleed the sh*t our of all 4 corners!)
Thanks, If you have any hot tips for mounting the Wilwood clutch reservoir, I'm all ears

1301 - 1320 of 1323 Posts