Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what happens if you are in cruise control with a manual transmission and the vehicle can no longer maintain the desired speed in the current gear (like going up a steep hill)? Does cruise control shut off?

I am just trying to figure out why my cruise control cut off today. I was driving on the highway in cruise control, and all of a sudden I started slowing down. The "Cruise" light was still lit, but it was no longer trying to maintain speed. My guess was that a gust of wind caused the vehicle to no longer be able to maintain its speed and so it shut off cruise control.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have noticed that before. If your engine cannot downshift (manual tranny) I believe it just drops out the cruise. Your cruise does stay on, but you have to reset the speed.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
There's a rev range that will act the same as hitting "cancel" if you drop below or exceed the limit

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sometimes does the same thing if you hit a really big bump. Mine cuts out when I go over the expansion joints where the highway meets the bridge if it's too big of a jump.
Ok that might have been the reason. I did hit a bump, but I didn't think that was the issue at first because I drive on this road all of the time. Either way, I was just making sure that it was functioning properly, which it seems to be.

·
Registered
679 Posts
There's a rev range that will act the same as hitting "cancel" if you drop below or exceed the limit
Anyone know what that point is? On my '07, sometimes my wife forgets about monitoring her speed and will still be in 6th going 55 lugging it up a hill when the cruise was set for ~70 sr so. I don't think I have ever seen it kick out of its own(not incl clutch, brake, cancel etc).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know what that point is? On my '07, sometimes my wife forgets about monitoring her speed and will still be in 6th going 55 lugging it up a hill when the cruise was set for ~70 sr so. I don't think I have ever seen it kick out of its own(not incl clutch, brake, cancel etc).
Maybe its a newer feature? I am driving a 2015.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Maybe its a newer feature? I am driving a 2015.
My 2013 6 speed comes out of cruise every time I hit this one expansion joint if I am in the right lane. Weird AF. I am used to it, though.

It will slow down when the engine lugs hard. But I have not yet had it drop out of cruise on long hills. (Keep in mind that I generally tap the brake, downshift and hit resume on long, steep hills. So I don't really know what would happen in such a case.)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2013 6 speed comes out of cruise every time I hit this one expansion joint if I am in the right lane. Weird AF. I am used to it, though.

It will slow down when the engine lugs hard. But I have not yet had it drop out of cruise on long hills. (Keep in mind that I generally tap the brake, downshift and hit resume on long, steep hills. So I don't really know what would happen in such a case.)
Yea I was thinking maybe this is a feature on the Pentastar engine. Just out of curiosity, why do you tap the brake instead of just pushing the clutch pedal or hitting cancel?

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Yea I was thinking maybe this is a feature on the Pentastar engine. Just out of curiosity, why do you tap the brake instead of just pushing the clutch pedal or hitting cancel?
I was taught to use Cruise Control back in the late 1970s, and on an automatic. I was taught to never turn it off while it was engaged, nor to ever hit cancel while it was engaged. You disengaged it first, then turned it off or cleared it (the Cancel button clears the setting like hitting C on a calculator). To disengage it you tapped the brake or actually depressed the brake. It was how I learned. I have never heard of depressing the clutch for anything save to press it to the floor to change gear, and again, you disengaged the cruise from the throttle before you shifted as the clutch would not disengage the cruise - just the tranny. When you let up after the shift the cruise would still be active and the sudden change in RPM would damage it. But that was a long time ago and had changed, I am sure. But there is nothing wrong with how I do it. It is still safe, if possibly overly so. But I have never once damaged a cruise control unit. Back in the day you could ruin one if you used it wrong.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was taught to use Cruise Control back in the late 1970s, and on an automatic. I was taught to never turn it off while it was engaged, nor to ever hit cancel while it was engaged. You disengaged it first, then turned it off or cleared it (the Cancel button clears the setting like hitting C on a calculator). To disengage it you tapped the brake or actually depressed the brake. It was how I learned. I have never heard of depressing the clutch for anything save to press it to the floor to change gear, and again, you disengaged the cruise from the throttle before you shifted as the clutch would not disengage the cruise - just the tranny. When you let up after the shift the cruise would still be active and the sudden change in RPM would damage it. But that was a long time ago and had changed, I am sure. But there is nothing wrong with how I do it. It is still safe, if possibly overly so. But I have never once damaged a cruise control unit. Back in the day you could ruin one if you used it wrong.
My JK is the first manual with cruise control I have driven so that is what I am used to. Depressing the clutch in these vehicles automatically disengages cruise control. Not criticizing, just curious.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

I can't speak to older systems but there is zero difference in how the system reacts if you turn it off or press cancel (beyond the saved speed being lost with off). Pressing the clutch in will cancel cruise as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sometimes does the same thing if you hit a really big bump. Mine cuts out when I go over the expansion joints where the highway meets the bridge if it's too big of a jump.
This has happened to me too. Seems like the traction light comes on at the same time. Has this happened to you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts