Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and my cruise stop coming on. I pulled the battery,ASD relay as well as tilt the wheel up and down and it worked for about two days but, it will not work anymore. I'm thinking my cruise stalk contacts are bad. Do I have to pull the steering wheel being its already wired for cruise? I know the horn cover will have to come off.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would put money on the clock spring being bad. IIRC, these early JK's had a rash of bad clock springs in them

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
REMOVAL
1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2.Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel. (Refer to 10 - Restraints/AIR BAG, Driver - Removal) .
3.From the back of the steering wheel (4), remove the two screws (2) that secure the center spoke of the rear cover (1) to the center spoke of the steering wheel spoke front bezel (3).
4.From the face of the steering wheel, remove the four screws (2) that secure the front spoke bezel (4) to the steering wheel armature within the steering wheel hub cavity.
5.Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, carefully pry at the parting line between the front spoke bezel and the steering wheel rear cover enough to unsnap the two horizontal members of the bezel from those of the rear cover.
6.Pull the front spoke bezel away from the steering wheel far enough to access and disconnect the steering wheel wire harness connections from the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) switch pod (1) and the speed control switch pod (3).
7.From the back of the steering wheel spoke front bezel (4), remove the three screws (2) that secure the speed control switch pod (1) mounting tabs to the bezel.
8.Remove the switch from the bezel.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Here is the pinout for the switch (see attachment):

NO PUSH BUTTONS DEPRESSED
13 and 14 (20708)
14 and 15 (20591)

ON / OFF
13 and 14 (464)
14 and 15 (133)

CANCEL
13 and 14 (896)
14 and 15 (457)

SET / - (DECEL)
13 and 14 (4088)
14 and 15 (2471)

RESUME / + (ACCEL)
13 and 14 (7408)
14 and 15 (4091)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem ended up just getting a mechanic to look at it it isn't worth the hassle of diy and ****ing it up

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I know if the stability control kicks in, that the cruise control shuts off, not sure if the cruise control is seeing something it doesn't like?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I know if the stability control kicks in, that the cruise control shuts off, not sure if the cruise control is seeing something it doesn't like?
It monitors a few things like wheel sensors, brake, etc. Here is some more on the subject:

An electronic speed control (also known as cruise control) system is available factory-installed equipment on this vehicle. The electronic speed control system includes the following major components, which are described in further detail elsewhere in this service information:

•Antilock Brake Module - An Antilock Brake Module (ABM) (also known as Controller Antilock Brake/CAB or the Electronic Stability Control/ESC module) is located on the antilock brake Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) in the engine compartment. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Anti-Lock Brake System - Description) .
•Brake Lamp Switch - The brake (also known as stop) lamp switch is located on the brake pedal support bracket under the driver side of the instrument panel. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8L - Lamps and Lighting/Lamps/Lighting - Exterior/SWITCH, Stop Lamp - Description) .
•ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster - A CRUISE indicator is located in the fixed segment display of the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN) that provides an indication to the vehicle operator when the speed control system is turned ON. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8J - Instrument Cluster - Description) .
•Powertrain Control Module - The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) located in the left front corner of the engine compartment contains the software and hardware that monitors all of the speed control system inputs and controls all of the speed control system outputs. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Powertrain Control - Description) .
•Speed Control Switches - A speed control switch pod containing four momentary switch push buttons is located in the right horizontal spoke of the steering wheel.
•Wheel Speed Sensors - A wheel speed sensor is located on the knuckle of each front and rear wheel. (Refer to 05 - Brakes/Electrical - Description) .

The ABM, the EMIC and the PCM each contain a microprocessor and programming that allow them to communicate with each other using the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. This method of communication is used by the PCM for control of the CRUISE indicator in the EMIC. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/COMMUNICATION - Description) .

Hard wired circuitry connects the electronic speed control system components to the electrical system of the vehicle. These hard wired circuits are integral to several wire harnesses, which are routed throughout the vehicle and retained by many different methods. These circuits may be connected to each other, to the vehicle electrical system and to the speed control system components through the use of a combination of soldered splices, splice block connectors, and many different types of wire harness terminal connectors and insulators. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, further details on wire harness routing and retention, as well as pin-out and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it was the cruise control stalk switch. Replaced with a new one and all is good. One thing I noticed is that the part is a rev C instead of the rev A that came off. I followed the write up on JK forum which was a good thread except for the part that the steering wheel just wiggles off lol. You can get it about half way but, if you get to jerking to hard you will damage the spline. I had to use a steering wheel puller and modify it to fit inside the hole with a socket that way it didn't push against the steering wheel and damage it any. Not a hard job but, one that if you are not careful will tear up your wheel. I can't understand Jeep charging 200 bucks plus tax just for labor!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts