Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing an over the road camping trip this summer with my 03 TJ. It does not have cruise control and I'm thinking maybe I want to have it.

Has anyone installed it or had it installed, if so what was the cost? I have limited time and this was an "oh crap" kind of thought so having it installed before I go might be the only option if it's pretty invasive. I know it's just some sort of vacuum that needs to be created...I may be wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
This subject is asked to death! There is thread about this literally just a few spots below your post. The search button is extremely useful.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My '03 was already wired for cruise control. I bought the necessary parts for around $125 and installed them in under an hour. You might check for a taped off harness/connector near your brake master cylinder. If you have that, the rest is easy.

·
Registered
15,680 Posts
I added factory cruise to my wife's 04 Rubi

If already wired you need
Switched off a WJ at you pull it (ZJ switches are not correct for 03 up TJ need the WJ 99-04 grand Cherokee)

Cruse servo off any 97-04 dodge Chrysler Plymouth vehicle

A vacuum T and some vacuum hose from any auto parts store

Lastly two TJ specific parts from a mopar dealer

The bracket to mount the servo (servos are all the same but mounting bracket is vehicle specific)

The cable that attaches the servo to the throttle body again vehicle specific

So about $25 to $35 at pull you parts

plus $10 at autozone

Probably $50 at the dealer

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I added factory cruise to my wife's 04 Rubi

If already wired you need
Switched off a WJ at you pull it (ZJ switches are not correct for 03 up TJ need the WJ 99-04 grand Cherokee)

Cruse servo off any 97-04 dodge Chrysler Plymouth vehicle

A vacuum T and some vacuum hose from any auto parts store

Lastly two TJ specific parts from a mopar dealer

The bracket to mount the servo (servos are all the same but mounting bracket is vehicle specific)

The cable that attaches the servo to the throttle body again vehicle specific

So about $25 to $35 at pull you parts

plus $10 at autozone

Probably $50 at the dealer

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thank you, that's useful information!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Even if you have to build your own wiring harness it is not that bad a job. On the Servo mount, just about any will work, you just need to be creative. I used one off a 97 Dodge truck I think. The pins for the connector might be a little harder to find, but the You Pull It places should have a good assortment of Chrysler vehicles for you to search. The clock spring might be the other thing that you need to purchase new, unless you already have that. Need to pull the airbag to find out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed a Rostra universal cruise control system in my 2001 TJ (5 speed) about a year ago. Read thru the instructions about five times, then took about 90 minutes to install. The system works like a champ. I have zero complaints other than my own placement of the cruise control switch arm. I didn't think that part out and need to move it.

If I didn't have that installed I would not be driving my TJ to Silverton next week. :)

Rostra 250-1223 Universal Cruise Control System

1 - 7 of 7 Posts