Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my way to work yesterday following behind a mini van going about 35 in a 40 mph zone in the left lane. Mini van puts on his left blinker to move into the turn only lane and what do I see?:jawdrop: A dump truck at a dead stop!! Reached for the clutch and brake but before I could even drop it into second gear I was in the right lane facing about 250 degrees from where I started. Hell of a ride I gotta say. Didn't hit a thing but learned a little something from it.
This incident got me to thinking about some of the close calls and mishaps you guys and gals may have in all your jeep adventures both on road and off. I, for one, would love to hear them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yeah, I try to leave 3 seconds gap in front of me. Too many crazy things happen out there.

About 2 months after I bought my LJ I was cruising down the middle lane of the interstate around midnight when an SUV raced up on my rear. I didn't have doors on (so no side mirrors), and didn't see him in the rear view mirror until it was too late to do anything. He finally looked up from his phone (sigh) in time to avoid rear ending me, but over-corrected after his swerve and hit me hard on my front passenger-side fender. Wrecked half of my front-end.

Was in the body shop for a month, a lovely warm September I spent cursing and whining.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's happening a lot with all the snow plows trying to clear the roads after this storm. I know I've had to slam on the breaks a few times myself. Some of the roads still aren't completely clear. I watched a guy in a F150 smack a 5ft snow bank at 70mph yesterday morning cause he had to try to pass one more car before he got over in the right lane. Definitely made me pucker.

·
Registered
204 Posts
yes in snow / ice one of the worst things that can happen is needing to slam on the breaks.
Usually your tires just break loose and send you sliding like a curling rock down the hwy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yesterday I was on my way home and ran my right tires off the road on a curve (2 lane road with no shoulder). I turned the wheel to get back on the road I jumped back onto the road into the other lane and just about went head on with a GMC Sierra 3500. Close call that was my fault for trying to correct at speed with oncoming traffic. Nothing bad happened, nothing was hit but still very scary.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Not in my Jeeps but I've had to Dodge three wrong way drivers on the freeways over the years and one horse galloping toward me down the freeway...in Los Angeles of all places. I was following a big rig and he suddenly swerved to the left for no apparent reason. "What the Hell is he doing" I thought, and there was the horse! Missed him thankfully but not by much. Scared the crap outta me.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I guess they don't teach it any more, or at least you wouldn't know it fom the way everyone tailgates everyone else, but in the really old days it was taught that you leave a cars length between you and the next car for every ten mph of speed. I still try to do that.

·
Commercial Member
7,874 Posts
I guess they don't teach it any more, or at least you wouldn't know it fom the way everyone tailgates everyone else, but in the really old days it was taught that you leave a cars length between you and the next car for every ten mph of speed. I still try to do that.
Exactly, faster you go, more distance between.

Average human reaction time is around 1 second, that's a lot of distance at highway speeds before you are even touching the brakes.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
In Indiana the law is 2 seconds; I find it a lot easier to count 2 seconds than try to figure out car lengths.
That's fine if you're in to keeping track of where the car in front of you was two seconds ago, but IMHO, it's just easier for me to look at the existing conditions and estimate. It's not hard to look and see approximately how many car lengths are between you and the next vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tailgating aggravates me more than most idiotic things we see on the road everyday. I always try to leave at least 1 second per 10 mph as I learned many years ago. The mini van and I were still under acceleration when he signaled and changed lanes without a hint of braking. I was accelerating after my 3-4 shift when I first saw the dump truck. I had plenty of time to brake and stop but the rears locked up and around I went. This was the first hard braking I've been forced into since I purchased her. In thinking about it the past few days I'm wondering if I may have a front brake issue as I can't recall the front end dropping at all. Plus, the only time I've snapped around that fast was in go karts(rear brake only). Going to dig a little deeper this weekend.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had my LJ less than a week when I was stopped at a traffic light. Just as the light changed and I started into the intersection a police car, lights flashing but no siren came through the red light on the cross street -- I saw it and braked, the minivan behind me didn't and plowed into me.

The minivan completely crumpled and accordion pleated its front end and it bent my tire rack and scratched my tailgate.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
One close call I had where spacing saved me wasn't even when I was moving; A few years ago I was living in Switzerland where most cars are manual transmission, and I was 2nd in line at a light. The guy in front of me had rolled slightly too far forward and backed up a little to get out of the crosswalk while waiting for the lights to change.

As I sat there and watched his backup lights glowing, I realized that even if I could roll the window down and yell loud enough to make him hear me, I had absolutely no idea what the French words were for "You're still in reverse!!!"

A few seconds later, the light changed, he dumped the clutch and took one giant hop backward into the space that I had thankfully left empty, before getting himself under control.

·
Registered
556 Posts
on my way to work yesterday following behind a mini van going about 35 in a 40 mph zone in the left lane. Mini van puts on his left blinker to move into the turn only lane and what do I see?:jawdrop: A dump truck at a dead stop!! Reached for the clutch and brake but before I could even drop it into second gear I was in the right lane facing about 250 degrees from where I started. Hell of a ride I gotta say. Didn't hit a thing but learned a little something from it.
This incident got me to thinking about some of the close calls and mishaps you guys and gals may have in all your jeep adventures both on road and off. I, for one, would love to hear them.
My most recent adventure...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tokyo-drift-around-dc-in-a-tj-1582018.html

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wasn't driving, but I was changing a LF steer tire on an 18-Wheeler and had to jump up on the tank/air intake to keep from getting hit by a girl in a VW texting. Flashing orange lights and warning cones and all didn't help worth a damn.

While driving I did fall asleep and cross into oncoming traffic. NOT FUN. The center lane rumble strips woke me up and I avoided an accident.

Those are the only 2 times where I felt the need to see if I turned my pants brown.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I flagged for Highways , and so many people dont pay attention to cones/signs people in flashy outfits along the road with signs also.

Had a crew doing bridge work on a hwy. 1 lane and we would let people go through one direction at a time.

had a guy just drive by me like i was a ghost .. 120kmph/70mph he ended up in the ditch at the bottom of the hill before it was all said and done.

I had to just scream over the radio and hope my guys got out of there.

Thing is I could have easily been on the crew down there essentially drew the short straw that day. we all hated flagging.

Knew some of the older guys that just tossed their signs into the front windshield of trucks that ignored them lol.

Also knew a woman who got run down by an idiot who didn't watch and panicked when he had no where to go and essentially followed her down into the ditch and ran her over.

I've only crashed once in a vehicle and i was in a road check pickup lol.

like 2-3AM light snow started on a hill (1500ft higher than my other areas) and a cold snap come up quick , the slightly wet roads(from old salt) turned to glare ice and i was going around a corner/up hill , I think i let off the gas to slow down and check the hill and my tires broke loose and sent me spinning like a curling rock down 2 lanes (no oncoming thankfully).

I had just been on that hwy and it was fine 2-3 hrs before that had even got out and checked hwy puck temps. I ended up on the passing lane ditch no damage. but i watched about 3 more cars hit the opposite ditch on that same stretch in the time it took to get one of the guys come in a sand truck and pull me out (was barely in the ditch , I had almost nearly come out of the fish tailing before i hit the edge of the shoulder and slid in).

This was a close call in 1 way.. if i hadn't gotten slowed down before i went in i would have probably flipped. and if i had not almost gotten it straightened out , and instead have been in one of the fish tails before i went off the shoulder i would have also likely flipped. lucky i got it slowed down and straightened out mostly before entering and the snow just plowed around the wheels.

Learned a-lot about breaking loose on ice that day.

--------------------

One more.
I just remembered when i was about 17
In my old mustang i had 3 of my friends in it taking them home.
Fog was super thick i mean like cant see the lines on the other shoulder thick.
I was driving fairly slow no where near highway speeds and There was a corner coming up although it was hard to tell how far.

Next thing i know I'm ramping the mustang over the center of a highway (the corner) and thankfully into a farmers approach on a open field the approach was graveled and quite well graded so we didn't fly out of control or anything.

That was probably one of the freakiest things ever in a vehicle talk about being disorientated . Didn't even see the Stop sign in the fog , Thank god for 2 things.
1. No vehicles on hwy we leaped across
2. not a dead end ditch on the other side.

the guys in the back didn't even wake up although my front passenger was already awake lol. he was sprung like a cat going into a bath tub.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Staying on the Mustang theme, sitting in a left turn lane, red light in my 95 GT. Look in my rearview mirror and see a modded Toyota coming at me, he locks the brakes, nose dives and rear ends me. Mostly went under my bumper as he was lowered and braking hard. Dinged up the bumper pretty good and bent the dual exhaust.

He was a nice kid so I cut him some slack, if he would pay for the bumper repair we call it good. He made good on his end, when he paid me he asked about my exhaust because I told him I was replacing it anyway. He worked at a NOPI shop and offered to set me up with a Borla catback for the price of a Magnaflow. Made me love Borla.

Sometimes you take a chance on a person and you find there are good people in the world.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts