Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

I have a 2003 TJ want to upgrade thwe sound system. I have the thread on here showing that. I went to Crutchfield and chose the "outfit your car" option and it gives me either a 4 or 7 speaker system as an option. As far as I know I have two speakers in the dash next to the doors and the two in the roll bar and the sub in the center console. Not sure what data Crutchfield is drawing from. Also when I went to search for the 4x6 speakers like the ones from the thread on this forum Crutchfield's site said they wouldnt fit my vehicle. any thoughts?

Thanks

S

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I think the infinity sound system from the factory puts a pair of tweeters by the winshield on top of the dash. not positive, but I have seen them there before

·
i'm......... lost
1,668 Posts
yeah i believe there are two tweeters on the dash. i've got the 7 speaker system and i think theyre up there. if you can find five, its not a 4 speaker system is it? :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 7 speaker option is for those who have added aftermarket speaker locations like on the floor ect... The 4 speaker option is going to give you two choices in size a 4" and 5-1/4" speaker. The 4" is the one that will fit in the dash and the other for the roll bar pods. The reason that the 4x6 will not fit into the dash is because the ones jeep uses originally are an odd shape and no aftermarket manufacturer makes one that fits with the right bolt hole location (as far as i have found). What I have had to do, both on my 2000 and the wife's 2005 TJ is go with the 4" round and use an adapter plate to mount them in the dash. Crutchfield sells the adapters plates that you need here. The 5-1/4" speakers should fit right into the roll bar pods without issue but do not waste your money on a speaker with a fancy cover or guard, most of them do not fit because the rollbar pod speakers are set in slightly.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Thats odd that they list 4" round speakers for the dash... There should be two screws on the side of the panel where the speaker is. If you remove those and pull the cover off you can check your speaker.

I know my 98 has 4x6's on this huge bracket. When I bought new 4x6s the screw holes wouldn't reach the holes on the jeep. I had to cut the old speaker out of the bracket and screw the new one into it.

I've heard talk of brackets you can buy to put 5-1/2" speakers in the dash. If your mechanically inclined I would suggest looking into these as well.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Crutchfield sells the adapters plates that you need here.
Wow... $15 to save my self half an hour of work... I'm worth more than I thought I was... plus shipping and time... hmmm...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow... $15 to save my self half an hour of work... I'm worth more than I thought I was... plus shipping and time... hmmm...
It is certainly worth the $15 considering most people will order the brackets at the time they order the speakers so they don't have to wait extra time or pay extra shipping. Also a 4" round speaker will give you a better sound quality than a 4x6 speaker.

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
You can actually get a 5 1/4 in the dash with the right adapter. I found mine on ebay.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
when they say 4 speaker they don't count the sub. if you do have the tweeters up front and you are looking at upgrading go with a set of component speakers for the front. a component set separates the speaker and the tweeter and has a crossover to split the single set of speaker wires to go to the speaker and the tweeter so that way the tweeters get the proper FQ's and the speaker gets the proper FQ's. get the front adapter plate to fit a set of 5.25's for the front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts