Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
My one shop brought this up. They explained (in detail like some specific strength rating number I dont remember) that especially in gears, they are designed so the exterior surface is harder than the inside surface-because if they made the inside the same rating, they would be too brittle and prone to crack. Supposedly the cryo treatment somehow strengthens them but does not have this effect. I dont understand the technology behind it of course, but that is what I remember. I did not do my gears, but if I ever toast them would probably do it. Interesting that you can do other pieces as well.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My one shop brought this up. They explained (in detail like some specific strength rating number I dont remember) that especially in gears, they are designed so the exterior surface is harder than the inside surface-because if they made the inside the same rating, they would be too brittle and prone to crack. Supposedly the cryo treatment somehow strengthens them but does not have this effect. I dont understand the technology behind it of course, but that is what I remember. I did not do my gears, but if I ever toast them would probably do it. Interesting that you can do other pieces as well.
It's similar (I think) to heat treating but instead the part is frozen down to -300°. Heat treating involves expensive ovens, long run times specific to each part. Here's a video I found after a deep freeze. Notice the different parts all done together. http://youtu.be/vPURmV8LHEM

·
Registered
796 Posts
This is done after the heat treat process and relieves internal stress of the metal.
It makes the outside harder and the internal metal more malleable from my understanding.

This is stuff that has been getting done on guns and knifes for years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts