Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone being offered Crystal Fusion for their windshield when buying a new JK?

When I bought mine a year ago, in May 2016, they offered this stuff. It's a treatment for your windshield similar to Rain-X, but it is a more permanent treatment. I wasn't interested, and when the finance guy said it's only $325, I was even less interested. However, he then said my windshield would be covered for FIVE years for cracks and breakages. Huh? Insurance for my windshield for $325 for 5 years? So I bought it.

I immediately noticed how clear my windshield was when it rained; I didn't need to use wipers. I still applied Rain-X periodically though. Anyway, I bought it for the peace of mind of being covered if I ever needed a new windshield. And of course, I hoped I never had to test that coverage.

Fast forward to last weekend, I got a stone chip. I called Crystal Fusion and they took a claim; Safelite called me a couple of hours later. Yesterday I went to Safelite and they said they couldn't repair the crack (it's a star), since it's bigger than a dollar bill. This morning I called Crystal Fusion to get a claim update; they said it had been approved for replacement. Now I'm just waiting for someone from Safelite to call me and book it in.

Anyway, I saw there was a lot of bad information on the net about Crystal Fusion, and just wanted to share my experience with them. I'll definitely buy it every time it's offered to me now when getting a new car.

On a side note, maybe I'm an optimist, but I didn't think I'd have a broken windshield in just over a year of ownership. I even have the 15 second video clip of the time of impact, as taken with my Viofo A119S (thanks for the advice, WF).

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
huh, never heard of it. is there a limit to the amount of times windshield will be repaired/replaced during the contract? is there any kind of required maintenance/re-application in order to maintain your warranty? can you use regular cleaners on it?

Yep, Wrangler windshields are rock magnets. doesn't your auto insurance cover your windshield? make sure they spring for the OEM window with the Jeep decal.

good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good questions 4x!

Apparently there is no limit to the number of windshields; it's simply coverage for 5 years. I would hate to test that theory though.

Although there's no requirement to have a reapplication, it is recommended to return to the dealer every 3 months for a reapplication. I called Crystal Fusion in the beginning and asked if my warranty would be void if I didn't get it reapplied; they said no and they are obviously being true to that since I did not go back at all in the 13 months since they applied it originally. If you do go back for reapplication, it's free. And it's like Rain-X on steroids, seriously.

I got a call from Safelite earlier and one of the questions they asked while setting up the appointment, was if my windshield has the Jeep grills on it. She said great, we have those in stock. So I'm assuming that's what I'll get on Friday when they come find me at work.

I've always paid a lot for car insurance, and every time I've had a broken windshield (5 times now in the last 10 years), they refused to cover it (in Texas). I drove for 25 years in Australia and never had so much as a stone chip. WTF mate?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Good questions 4x!

Apparently there is no limit to the number of windshields; it's simply coverage for 5 years. I would hate to test that theory though.

Although there's no requirement to have a reapplication, it is recommended to return to the dealer every 3 months for a reapplication. I called Crystal Fusion in the beginning and asked if my warranty would be void if I didn't get it reapplied; they said no and they are obviously being true to that since I did not go back at all in the 13 months since they applied it originally. If you do go back for reapplication, it's free. And it's like Rain-X on steroids, seriously.

I got a call from Safelite earlier and one of the questions they asked while setting up the appointment, was if my windshield has the Jeep grills on it. She said great, we have those in stock. So I'm assuming that's what I'll get on Friday when they come find me at work.

I've always paid a lot for car insurance, and every time I've had a broken windshield (5 times now in the last 10 years), they refused to cover it (in Texas). I drove for 25 years in Australia and never had so much as a stone chip. WTF mate?
Very Nice, I like that there is no required maintenance. I'll have to check into pricing in my area. doesn't sound like it cost much more than window tinting and it would be nice for the windshield to be easier to clean. the beach put so much gunk on the glass you can't see out of the windshield at times. I have to carry window cleaner and such.

you totally lucked out on them having the OEM glass in stock. that ROCKS. (ha)

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

On July 3rd, Safelite came out and gave me a brand new OEM windshield. To maintain the Crystal Fusion warranty, I had to get it reapplied within 3 days of the replaced windshield, which I did on the 5th. So now I'm good to go with a new windshield, for 4 more years. Other than the initial purchase of it, I have zero out of pocket expenses with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts