Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to be adding some LED cube lights to my front bumper overider once the damn weather warms up a bit. Any suggestions/tips on where are the best places to run the wiring harness through the firewall? I plan on installing the lighted switch on the plastic panel near the bottom of the steering column. Are there any secret access holes with gromments large enough to snake the switch wiring through? I'm assuming the large one behind the master cylinder is the easiest place given where I'm going to mount the switch. Also, is there a convenient place on the fender near the battery to secure the loop on the relay?

TIA :)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes, there is a "secret" access hole...
Looking at f/w, just to the right, and under brake booster, there is a rubber grommet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes, there is a "secret" access hole...
Looking at f/w, just to the right, and under brake booster, there is a rubber grommet.

Just used this one to run my switch. Real easy used a metal coat hanger to run the wire through, popped off the side panel and put my switch there. First time wiring anything in any vehicle and it was surprisingly easy.

Even got the grommet to pop back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the dumb question fellas, I'm not a wiring kinda guy. Just wanting to make sure I don't hamfist something and screw anything up.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question fellas, I'm not a wiring kinda guy. Just wanting to make sure I don't hamfist something and screw anything up.

The only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

I ran both my Spod and some auxiliary power lines through the grommet yesterday, no issues. I replaced a whole bunch of individual wires that I had previously run, for years, through there. I didn't need to remove the grommet at all, just punched through. IIRC, there was like a perforated "X" that immediately opened with a little pressure. You access it inside from under the dash in the upper left corner, about where the top of your left foot would be if you put it against the side panel (or above where a dead pedal would mount.)

Keep asking for input, that's what these forums are for.

Good luck.

Reactions: JHD1827

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
The rubber grommet is a great spot IF you have an auto. If you have the stick, the clutch pedal occupies that hole.

There is a foam sealed passage in both fenders that you can snake a wire or two through. It's up high and you will see the expanded foam there. Poke thru that.

Reactions: CTarna

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rubber grommet is a great spot IF you have an auto. If you have the stick, the clutch pedal occupies that hole.

There is a foam sealed passage in both fenders that you can snake a wire or two through. It's up high and you will see the expanded foam there. Poke thru that.
Auto here so no pokey the foamy for me. :beerdrinking:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts