Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel retarded. My jeep has 23k on it, I assume the tires are the same. The fronts are Reaally bad..front of the lug is visibly taller than the back, and the middles worn noticeably more than the sides. They SCREAM and are pretty rough.

Backs look perfect with just under half life.

For the life of me, I cannot remember what causes it. Just improper pressure/alignment/rotation maintnance?
Should I get 2 more and have it aligned or can I finish wearing them out?

thanks

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that, but the tread is so much lower I dont want to loose traction :mad:

I am going to my farm in WV in about 2 months, figured I would keep these on the front till then. Put rears on front, new in back, before I go play in red clay. I dont want the new ones to cup at 5,000 though, so I wanna be sure theres no issue

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree with Hank. Move the bad tires to the back. On pavement you have no concerns with traction. However, on pavement at speed your front tires control the vehicle. Having the better tires on the front where steering control is maintained makes more sense. I would also prefer to have a blowout on the rear tire rather than the front, if I had to choose.

Off pavement traction is not an issue either as 4wd can be used.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You hav eot keep M/TR's rotated like every 3k miles if not they will start choppin out like you described I would rotate them and they should where even over time unless they are real bad the rears don't do it as bad because the just spin forward or backwards, not turning and wobbling around like the fronts. And if they are real bad I would get new ones.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill take some pics and let you all decide. I go muddin' twice a month, and I will be deep in the WV mountains in red clay in 2 months. My jeep is also a daily driver. let me get pics.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Yep it's important you rotate MT/Rs regularly so if you haven't been rotating and balancing them every 3000-5000 miles, that could be the problem. Cupping can easily also be caused by a combination of an out of balance tire together with a weak shock absorber. :)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
driver front

pass front

pass tire side rear

pass side front

spare tire side

album, extra pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/558957999ETGVtZ

I dont mind buying 2 tires, I cant afford 4, and as I said, mud traction is important twice a month and critical in 2 months. This is a daily street driver too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would still say to rotate them to the rear. Traction should not matter since the tread looks about the same in the pictures. I wouldn't recommend the MTR's for mud anyways. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree is me but they are still mainly an "All terrain". I would recommed a Super Swamper for the mud. I run the BFG AT's and I don't expect them to perform like a mud grip.
Just my 2cents

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Put the fronts in the rear and soap up the road and do some burnouts, that will get them flat again. :D

·
Registered
678 Posts
Rotate em they ain't to bad I've seen worse they should even outpretty quick on the highway.

Yeah, I don't see how a M/TR could be confused as an all-terrain, maybe you can indulge me Hank so maybe I can possibly see the logic in that.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They might not be swampers, but I personally think they do VERY well in the slop, compared to their road characteristics. I couldnt be happier with them unless they went 30,000 more miles :p

Ill rotate them tonite, balance as nesessary, thanks guys. How long till they are dead you think?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
JC like others have said if you put them in the rear they will smooth out for you. They will be a little louder on the road for awhile until they wear down, but no biggie on that. Just make sure that your alignment is no more than 1/8th toe in and that your tires are balanced properly and that should take care of the cupping. I had it on my first set of Baja Claws until I buttoned things up on the front end and then I haven't dealt with it at all since.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
do yourself a favor and don't buy 2 new ones. Just wear them out until they're done, then go get some BFG MT's. Much better tire IMO. Everyone I know that runs the MTR's hates them. They are loud, don't wear well, and don't last long.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
do yourself a favor and don't buy 2 new ones. Just wear them out until they're done, then go get some BFG MT's. Much better tire IMO. Everyone I know that runs the MTR's hates them. They are loud, don't wear well, and don't last long.
Ahem, those of us on the west coast who have switched en masse away from BFG's MT to the MT/R, as I did, will strongly disagree. Yes the BFG lasts nearly forever and it's much quieter than the MT/R but the MT/R's stronger carcass, SIGNIFICANTLY stronger sidewall, and more aggressive tread design is what the doctor ordered for our sharp rocks. We were destroying multiple BFG MTs on each trip through Johnson Valley but since the switch to MT/Rs, tire damage is now very rare. As a former BFG MT user (55K miles out of my last set) and current MT/R (on my second set, first set got 40K plus miles) user, it's like comparing a street tire to a really beefy trail tire in terms of strength and cut-resistance. If you wheel in mud or only care about exceptional wear and a quiet ride, stick with the BFG MT but if you're doing really hard-core trails that slice tires up, the MT/R is very tough to beat. The only BFG product that is the MT/R's equal is the Krawler. The BFG MT isn't even in the same category. :)

Kind of like this stuff on Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Jerry what do you think about the trxus mt. ivehad them about ayear and no problems yet. i dont do as hard trails as you do but im on Rocks alot.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Never seet a Trxus MT where I wheel, sorry I can't comment on it other than I don't recall many supportive comments on Trxus in general. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ahem, those of us on the west coast who have switched en masse away from BFG's MT to the MT/R, as I did, will strongly disagree. Yes the BFG lasts nearly forever and it's much quieter than the MT/R but the MT/R's stronger carcass, SIGNIFICANTLY stronger sidewall, and more aggressive tread design is what the doctor ordered for our sharp rocks. We were destroying multiple BFG MTs on each trip through Johnson Valley but since the switch to MT/Rs, tire damage is now very rare. As a former BFG MT user (55K miles out of my last set) and current MT/R (on my second set, first set got 40K plus miles) user, it's like comparing a street tire to a really beefy trail tire in terms of strength and cut-resistance. If you wheel in mud or only care about exceptional wear and a quiet ride, stick with the BFG MT but if you're doing really hard-core trails that slice tires up, the MT/R is very tough to beat. The only BFG product that is the MT/R's equal is the Krawler. The BFG MT isn't even in the same category. :)

Kind of like this stuff on Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley...

That is why I said people I know, and my opinion. Obviously you know different people, and have a different opinion. AND since he's from Maryland, my east coast advice does indeed apply. Not to mention the fact that he said he liked the mud.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
My only complaint on the Trxs MTs is the amount of wheel weights needed to balance the tires. the sidewall thickness, and traction has been great so far. and my tire wear is almost non for the year ive had them.

come on Jerry "where you wheel" we both live in so cal. The only place i dont go is the hammers because that would be very dumb on my part with the lack of mods my jeep has for that kind of wheeling. do you only wheel at the hammers?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts