Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Generally what Ive seen in chips is simply changing natural tune of an engine to be optimized to a higher octane fuel.
In an older sports car that was tuned down to run on 86, chipping it to run on 97 will have some benefits.
on a Jeep... not so much

** Interesting fact **
Porsche tunes their cars to run on low octane fuel because 93-97 can be hard to find in certain parts of europe. Some actually run really bad on higher octane fuel without being re-programmed or chipped.
And now you know...

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a SuperChip on my 03 Rubicon, automatic...and IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Because I put on a lift and larger tires, the chip reset the odometer/speedometer to read correctly, and I can (if I want to) reset the engine itself to 'highway use', 'towing', or 'offroading'...but I'm not that technically inclined so we left it on 'towing' for our camper.
In general-gas mileage appeared to increase but that might just be recalibration for correct tires. 'Oomph' going uphill increased-and speed uphill increased, so we got more torque and power.
Other than that, most of the other features of SuperChip don't work on the 03's...just newer ones.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I am of the oppinion that chips on gassers are not really worth it. Diesel engines however are a different story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts