Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to start a control arm war here but I have had many jeeps over the years and back when had my TJ the rage was /is johnny joint type of set up so I went that route..Hated the ride and having to go rebuild them every couple years or so was not something i liked so i went with JKS adjustables and what a difference in ride and flex. I got rid of the TJ after 170k miles (148k with the JKS arms) with no ssues and bought an XJ and went with JKS.The Xj has almost 100k on that set up with TONS of off road time and still rides nice and quiet. I now have a JKU and went with JKS also. My JKU rides better then stock with no clanking when off road with a nice solid cushioned, quiet ride with no jamb nut to come loose...no issues. I have read a few posts were some bag on the Clevite bushing and how they go bad but on a JKS arm how can they wear out? there is very little stress on the bushings at full flex because the whole front half of the arm rotates and seems to give way more allowence for flexing due to this rotation..a JJ seems to be limited to its movement because it can only rotate so much within the joint itself. The JJ design (some) is not cushioned on the body side which sends road vibes into the interior of the jeep and feel it in the steering wheel..thats what drove me nuts on my TJ...so again curious on why there is hardly anyone here that runs them...any seen one break?..doubt it as they are pretty beefy. I do realize they aint cheap but doesnt quality come with a price AND you dont have to rebuild them every other season..so lets hear it. My curious mind needs to know :)
Cameron

·
Registered
720 Posts
Why do you think there is no love for adjustable control arms?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cost and CS. Not saying it's poor. There's many other Manufactures that are popular with the JK market and spend time on the forums .. JKS does not. I can say the same about AEV, OME. Both popular but strongly rely on word of mouth.
makes sense...I know alot of TJ owners and they run them...just wondered if there was a "thing" with Jk's that kept them out of the market...I do realize that 500.00 for a pair of front lower JKarms is pricey and does tend to send one another way..the rest of the arms are reasonably priced though
Cameron

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
makes sense...I know alot of TJ owners and they run them...just wondered if there was a "thing" with Jk's that kept them out of the market...I do realize that 500.00 for a pair of JKarms is pricey and does tend to send one another way Cameron
The TJ used much shorter CA's. The truth is the JK doesn't really need a full set of arms until you hit 3" or higher.
A single set of front lowers or uppers for caster angle ... That is about it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The initial Teraflex control arms that came out with the '97 TJ had a similar threaded design, and tended to wear quickly and get loose and sloppy. The similar design of the JKS arms may have turned some people away back in those days. But the JKS arms are manufacturered to a whole different standard than the early Teraflex arms were.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Currie was always considered the best until MC developed the game changer systems.
The other new joints you showed me could also hit the bullseye. It's not as much the arms design as it is the joints that determine flex and ride quality. The MC joint alignment is still a stand out feature...

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
The other new joints you showed me could also hit the bullseye. It's not as much the arms design as it is the joints that determine flex and ride quality. The MC joint alignment is still a stand out feature...
The synergy bushings ?
Too bad I won't be trying them out. I did find out the Durometer # on the bushing is pretty high. Higher then a stock bushing.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have used JKS stuff on two prior jeeps. They build great stuff. New had an issue with anything made by Jks. That said, I believe Metal Cloak is now making the best JK stuff right now. Their Duroflex joints are amazing.

Flash

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
The synergy bushings ?
Too bad I won't be trying them out. I did find out the Durometer # on the bushing is pretty high. Higher then a stock bushing.
Why aren't you trying them? The design looks pretty good. Even if the rubber is firm they have to be better than Poly joints. Maybe it's time for you to visit the dark side and put some Duroflex joints in your arms...

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Why aren't you trying them? The design looks pretty good. Even if the rubber is firm they have to be better than Poly joints. Maybe it's time for you to visit the dark side and put some Duroflex joints in your arms...
I have a full set of custom cut (rears) Rock Krawler arms on the way. RK also has a new frame side flex joint about to be released.
I did not want to move the axle back 1" on my 2 door. I opted for rears slightly longer than stock but shorter than the x-factor setup.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I have a full set of custom cut (rears) Rock Krawler arms on the way. RK also has a new frame side flex joint about to be released. I did not want to move the axle back 1" on my 2 door. I opted for rears slightly longer than stock but shorter than the x-factor setup.
Yeah, I remember reading about that.

So I was thinking... Scary, I know. Rugged Ridge sells fixed length lowers without joints pretty inexpensively. Maybe we could assemble a premium flex control arm without breaking the bank?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It's interesting how some brands are the most popular for one component but are rarely talked about for others. JKS seems to dominate the JK quick disconnect market, yet here we are in this thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts