Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current 2008 Wrangler X is a six speed manual, 3:21s, no navigation and 114000 on the odometer.

I was considering a budget 2.5" TF lift kit, 17" aftermarket rims with 35's.
Also wanted to install an aftermarket stereo/navi. Then follow on would be front and rear bumpers with a front winch and some lighting set ups.

Now I'm wondering if I should just trade it in for a new 16 Rubicon with navigation. Does the manual 16 Rubicon come with 4.10s or 3:73s? If so, seems like the money saved on regearing and having a factory navigation on top of having a vehicle reset to new is sounding pretty good.

Not sure if I should stick with what I have and start modding, or look into the benefits of a new 16 Rubicon as a starting point......:crazy:

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons? I don't know enough about the details of the Rubicon, there may be some other advantages to the upgrade...

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd go with the trade. New equals built in upgrades (gears for one), a warranty, and a better engine!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
If you can afford it get the 2016 Hard Rock, or you might be able to get a leftover 2015 for a little cheaper. The manual transmission will come with 4.10 gears standard, 4.10's are only an option on automatic transmissions. Plus at 114k miles it's a good idea to start with a new build rather then put $$ into something almost 10 years old. Good Luck, now start shopping :bop:

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
It's only money. Get new if you can afford it ... I personally like my 08. Took me 8 years to get it exactly where I want it and now it surpasses anything stock. I would hate to start all over again.
To build your 08 you are looking at about 7k on the high side, which will include tires and wheels ( which you will still want on a new one), lift (which you still need on the new one), front diff housing, with gears and lockers, and a few more odds and ends.
Make your list of mods you would like on the 08, then look at the list again and realize what mods on that list would still be needed on the new HR.
Piece of mind in having a new vehicle with full warranty is nice but you really aren't saving anything by buying new..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts