Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
saweet!

"These same suppliers say that the current Jeep Wrangler will live on through mid-2018 – that's right, another five years. The Detroit News reports that a replacement for the iconic, go-anywhere Jeep was due in mid-2016."

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think they haven't figured out a way to change the wrangler enough to justify a complete generation change. Perhaps they are experimenting with ways to shave off the weight and the technology is years away from coming to fruition..

Guess this means I'll be paying off the Jeep before trading it in for a new one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
They've got it just about right now with a good balance between comfort, modern features, and function. Any major revisions are likely to tip the scale too far to the comfort side. Annual refinements, new trannies and a diesel in the current chassis and body style are a good way to go forward.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Interesting if true....and it would break the 10 year cycle for models.

But I can't say I don't blame them for not changing things.

With the major upgrades made in 2011 (interior/painted top option) and 2012 (engine/tranny) , Jeep has knocked it out of the park. There are still a few flaws, but these things are selling like hotcakes....why change it? Judging by the way Jeep has raised the price on some of the options (remeber when gears were $50 all of 16 months ago?), Jeep is making money hand over fist.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would think any changes would be engine/tranny based with new directive from Obama on fuel efficiency. I love the 2012 and newer JK's. the interior redesign is what sold me since I wanted a nicer interior with a still rugged jeep. Now I have the best of both.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They just need to add a version that comes with 35 inch tires, Hemi or the big D and keep making them more reliable... They look just fine to me now... Iconic... perfect what they have mechanically and this thing will sell for decades...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If this works out I think it will be nice, this will give us a chance to hopefully see the Diesel in more than one year of JK. The first year is likely to have bugs and the 2nd year will maybe be better and the 3 year should be a good year to buy. Or maybe they get all the bugs worked out in the overseas models and our first generation is actually the 2nd or 3rd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This makes me happy. I hope that if they decide to re-design one of the most iconic models in history that they take their sweet time to make it better. Seeing a regressive design would sadden me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If this works out I think it will be nice, this will give us a chance to hopefully see the Diesel in more than one year of JK. The first year is likely to have bugs and the 2nd year will maybe be better and the 3 year should be a good year to buy. Or maybe they get all the bugs worked out in the overseas models and our first generation is actually the 2nd or 3rd.
The overseas versions of the Wrangler use the 2.8L diesel (I think it was a Daimler/Mercedes engine if memory serves). The rumor mill says that the NAFTA wrangler will use the VM Motori 3.0L diesel, the same one that is being offered in the Grand Cherokee and Ram this year. I don't know if/when the foreign wrangler will see the 3.0L.

Bottom line I agree with you about giving it a couple years to work out the kinks. Although I am excited for the torque boost from a diesel!

·
Registered
29 Posts
They just need to add a version that comes with 35 inch tires, Hemi or the big D and keep making them more reliable... They look just fine to me now... Iconic... perfect what they have mechanically and this thing will sell for decades...

All for the 35's and the Hemi!!:thumb:

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
wait... isn't the wrangler already an icon that's been selling for decades? :D :whistling:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts