Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my gremlins sorted (for now), so get to get some fun stuff for once. Between these two from recommendations and fit. Would love to get the full 10" of travel in the rear with OME N67L's, but would like to keep the coils in their buckets and limit the bump stops a bit. Made the decisions on these shocks after reading a books worth of MudB8's posts on jeep forum, but will be double checking this weekend.

Bilsteins I've found will run around $340 for the set. Will net me 9" of travel in the front and 9.6" in the rear, max. (Rear lower mounts will be relocated to be like the JK lower mounts, and will have a Teraflex adaptor up top to eek out an extra inch of up travel to get it closer to 50:50. Not that it makes a difference what shock size I'll be getting)

Front (24" ext, 15" collapsed, pushing it. On the fence if I want a 23" shock)
Bilstein Front Monotube Shock for 3" Short Arm Lift, 5100 Series - Sold Individually - BIL-24185257

Rear (25" ext, 14.4" collapsed)
Bilstein Rear Monotube Shock for 4"- 6" Long Arm Lift, 5100 Series - Sold Individually - BIL-33185934

Ranchos it'll be ~$220 said and done ($76 rebate from Rancho ATM). 9" up front, 9.3" in the rear. Haven't really looked at the 9000s because I honestly don't know how or why I would adjust them. I'd either leave them on a setting and forget, or get annoyed and flip it every other week. So 7000s it is. Part #s RS-7239 and RS-7256

Front (24" ext, 14.9" collapsed)
Rancho Front Monotube Nitro Shock, RS7000MT Series - RS-7239

Rear (24.9" ext, 15.6" collapsed)
Rancho Rear Monotube Nitro Shock, RS7000MT Series - RS-7256

Full disclosure: Typing it all out helps me think (oh, and to keep a log somewhere besides my phone), so now that the post is done the Ranchos look overwhelmingly convincing. That is unless there's been some huge quality control issue lately or the Bilstein's really are $100 better.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been running the Rancho 7000 for over a year and quite happy with them.
Thanks.

Snow day bump since the only other feedback is all the $40k JK's in my club saying the Bilstiens are good, but have no comparison or experience.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I have and like the Bilsteins, though the only other shocks I have to compare them to are the stock rears and Skyjacker Nitro front shocks that came with my Jeep when I bought it.

If you go with the Bilsteins, order them through Autoplicity. I got all four shocks for just under $300 shipped.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I had the 9000s on my ljr and by time I went to adjust them the adjuster had seized, I then realized that I wouldnt be adjusting them enough to appreciate that feature and went to the 7000s......they have been great shocks. I understand that it is best to grease the adjusters on the 9000s from time to time.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have a JKUR and run 7000's and am getting ready to get rid of them. I am on my 2nd set in a year and would not get them again as they just fade too fast on fast washboard roads. They work great on street and slow off road but high speed washboard kills them fast. My buddy with a TJ has told me the same.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Wow...thanks for the info jadmt.....to be fair I only drive my lj on weekends or jeep events....but I was considering putting them on my Jk.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Wow...thanks for the info jadmt.....to be fair I only drive my lj on weekends or jeep events....but I was considering putting them on my Jk.
if you don't do fast fire/forest service roads you will be ok. they do great on street and in rough slow going type terrain.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I run 9000XL on the TJ and 5100 Billstiens on my 3/4 Chevy tow rig. I have had a seal go out on one of the Billstiens already in a years time but it is lifetime warranty. No problems with the Rancho's. I have wheeled the hell out of mine. However, I have torn up the rear ones twice on the rocks.

If it is a trail rig only, run cheap stuff. Who cares about the ride when you are going 3 mph over the rocks!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I then realized that I wouldnt be adjusting them enough to appreciate that feature and went to the 7000s......they have been great shocks.
That's what I'd figure. Rather just trust the real world experience then fiddle with it and never know if I'm satisfied. I'm a perfectionist so Lord knows I'd want it between settings if I ever did decide.
if you don't do fast fire/forest service roads you will be ok. they do great on street and in rough slow going type terrain.
Good to hear. I stick to my hill climbs and washouts. I've blasted through forest roads at 35...once. Won't be doing that again since the spot was just puddles and mud.

I run 9000XL on the TJ and 5100 Billstiens on my 3/4 Chevy tow rig. I have had a seal go out on one of the Billstiens already in a years time but it is lifetime warranty. No problems with the Rancho's. I have wheeled the hell out of mine. However, I have torn up the rear ones twice on the rocks.

If it is a trail rig only, run cheap stuff. Who cares about the ride when you are going 3 mph over the rocks!
Daily driver here. Bought at 142k and up to 175k or so. Not 100% sure since I never changed the speedo gear for 33s.

I remember when the 7000s came out one of the high post count members here did a big write up. Wish I could track it down.

Edit: Found it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
I've run something like 8 different shocks on my two different TJs and I finally found one that does it all. Old Man Emu Nitrocharger. Good street ride, great offroad control, and they keep my TJ under good control no matter how fast I want to drive on the desert washboard dirt roads between trails. I ran RE Monotube gas-charged shocks prior to these and they rode great but they couldn't keep the Jeep under control while out on the desert trails. Of all the shocks I've owned on my TJs, these are by far my favorites.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. They were definitely in my top 3, but the cost is much higher. I'm all for buy once buy right, but the stingy student side of me wants to save. Not do make you do all the legwork, but have a good place to look for their shock lengths?

Also during my run around keep looking back at the Teraflex 9550s. Not sure how to feel about them, yet. Low pressure gas shock(I think? Murky information here), "improved ride" over stock. Not as harsh as Bilstiens. Interesting thing I also saw was they manage to eek out more travel. Fronts would be 23"ext,13.7" collapsed, 9.3" travel and the rears would be 24.8" ext, 14.8" collapsed, for a full 10" of travel. Of course that comes with the territory of twin tube vs. monotube, which brings up a completely different argument.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts