Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between Steel vs Aluminum frame Currie Antirock sway bar system? There is $40 dollars difference in favor of aluminum.

I have JKS sway bars, and i dont like that i have to lubricate it, remove links, zip tie sway bar. Twice i was off roading i could not get links back without having a person stand on a side to align and fit those in. Too much inconvenience.

I should have gone with Currie in the first place as many recommended.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The short answer is "eye candy".

If you are talking about these brackets CE-9900JKFA (AL) vs these CE-9900JKF (steel) the steel ones are cheaper. The aluminum brackets are billet with machined logos and powder coating.

IMO, aluminum doesn't belong anywhere where there are consistently high cyclic loads (fatigue) or in harms way in the undercarriage (rocks). Having said that, the aluminum ones gotta look cool. :D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The short answer is "eye candy". If you are talking about these brackets CE-9900JKFA (AL) vs these CE-9900JKF (steel) the steel ones are cheaper. The aluminum brackets are billet with machined logos and powder coating. IMO, aluminum doesn't belong anywhere where there are consistently high cyclic loads (fatigue) or in harms way in the undercarriage (rocks). Having said that, the aluminum ones gotta look cool. :D
Placed an order on steel ones today. Was told will arrive in 7-10 days.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Aluminum weighs less. Since this part has nothing to do with armor and shouldn't be smacking anything, I'd take the lower weight option.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Steel

I opted for the steel and I'm very happy with them. As a side note, be aware: Your Jeep's handling will be significantly different! You will no longer have the same planted feeling. However, this is not a reason to panic...just be aware and take it easy until you get used to the new characteristics:thumb:
View attachment 689545

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I opted for the steel and I'm very happy with them. As a side note, be aware: Your Jeep's handling will be significantly different! You will no longer have the same planted feeling. However, this is not a reason to panic...just be aware and take it easy until you get used to the new characteristics:thumb:
Yeah, i know it will be different, but i think im gonna like it better. I have the inner feeling :). I must add that i didn't like the way it was bouncing when i was completely disconnected, the body was all over the place. With currie it will be more balanced, since i have my jeep as a dd, i had a slight concern on handling on highways, but i talked to few people that have them and they totally recommended currie.

I have a tech question: did you have to lift the axel or jeep to adjust the sway links? I don't have any tools nor space to lift the jeep for that. Can it be done without lifting anything? :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aluminum weighs less. Since this part has nothing to do with armor and shouldn't be smacking anything, I'd take the lower weight option.
Thanks for feedback. I think there is not significant difference between two. It probably weighs only 2-3 pounds in steel anyway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Installing

Yeah, i know it will be different, but i think im gonna like it better. I have the inner feeling :). I must add that i didn't like the way it was bouncing when i was completely disconnected, the body was all over the place. With currie it will be more balanced, since i have my jeep as a dd, i had a slight concern on handling on highways, but i talked to few people that have them and they totally recommended currie.

I have a tech question: did you have to lift the axel or jeep to adjust the sway links? I don't have any tools nor space to lift the jeep for that. Can it be done without lifting anything? :)
I completed my install using a floor jack and jack stands. You will need to remove both front tires, and you'll have to raise and lower the differential to insure proper adjustment. This was actually one of my easier mods!

Ed. Space was not an issue, as I did all of this outside, in my driveway.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As mentioned the aluminum weighs slightly less, but these parts arent that big so we are talking a few pounds. The aluminum also eliminates any rust concerns. And the aluminum arms definitely look cooler in my opinion.

I should be getting mine on next week (front and rear). Im anxious to see how handling is affected. Currie has 3 different diameter bars in 36" length (front) as well, so if the bar included with the kit (.750") is too sloppy, there are options (.800" and .850") to stiffen it up a bit without going back to disco's. I can definitely relate to the body being all over the place disco'd. Thats the primary reason im ditching my e-disco. I'd love to hear some detailed accounts on the handling from anyone!

·
Registered
943 Posts
If you guys think the Antirock is pricey look at the Swayloc it's in the $800 range... Yikes

John Currie has definitely done his homework with his product it's been tested & proven and there isn't to many other better options than the antirock unless you are willing to pay a lot more for a "dual rate" swaybar which sounds like a good idea but waaay more money

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If someone already has front quick disconnects and decides to only install the anti-roc rear.. I wonder how it would feel on the road? Hmmmm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts