Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, I am piecing together my own kit. I have narrowed it down to BDS or Currie springs. Can I save some money and go with the 3 inch BDS coils or are Currie coils that much better and worth the $100. If anyone has picture of these springs on their jeep i would appreciate pictures! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
For springs alone, I haven't come across a negative review for either. I run BDS coils and I am quite happy with them. Now control arms are another thing - go Currie...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For springs alone, I haven't come across a negative review for either. I run BDS coils and I am quite happy with them. Now control arms are another thing - go Currie...
thank you for your response. i think i have decided to go BDS coils, but when it comes to control arms ill go currie eventually. What BDS coils do you have? I havent decided between 3 or 4.5, i just dont know if 3 will be big enough...

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
LOL, I just have their short 2" plus a 1.25" body lift to clear my 33's.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I'm piecing together mine as well. I went with the 3" progressive springs from Savvy since I already had a body lift. I just put the Rancho RS9000XL shocks on last weekend and no stiff ride like I had did with the old setup of stock springs and SkyCrappers.

I'm just saving up now for CAs and am up in the air between Clayton and Currie. Claytons are beefier but don't have JJ on both ends. My 4x4 shop swears by Clayton and folks on here like Currie. Decisions, decisions.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
most of my suspension is now currie. not the springs though. they are zone which is made by bds. i like them and would buy them again.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm piecing together mine as well. I went with the 3" progressive springs from Savvy since I already had a body lift. I just put the Rancho RS9000XL shocks on last weekend and no stiff ride like I had did with the old setup of stock springs and SkyCrappers.

I'm just saving up now for CAs and am up in the air between Clayton and Currie. Claytons are beefier but don't have JJ on both ends. My 4x4 shop swears by Clayton and folks on here like Currie. Decisions, decisions.
The currie springs from savvy are expensive, more with shipping. Bds has a great reputauon for springs. Save your money on the coils so yoh can get other currie parts.
Ican also not decide between 3 inch and 4.5, anyone?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Clayton are heavier, not necessarily beefier. Square tube will bend before round tube, given the same diameter, wall thickness, and length.

You want JJ's at both ends. Go Currie, Savvy (either from Savvy), or Rokmen.

As for coils, both are good. Use the money saved to buy arms.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think i want 4 inch currie coils, i would rather go with bds but they dont have 4 inch springs,only 4.5 and i think they will be too big

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
You might want to research that a bit more
My bad....forget to mention the most important part. I'll elaborate a bit more.

Pound for pound, round is stronger. Square is stronger overall in a bending moment, given all else equal. Round is stronger under compression/tension forces. But compare the difference of a square tube landing on a corner vs. a round tube. Round doesn't have those pesky corners. :thumb:

I believe Clayton uses 1/4" wall. I've personally watched too many Clayton lower arms (all on the same rig) bend when similar-length .25" wall heat treated chromolly and some .375" wall DOM didn't budge.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
most of my suspension is now currie. not the springs though. they are zone which is made by bds. i like them and would buy them again.
Zone is not made by BDS...why does everyone keep saying that? Two entirely separate companies and one does not own the other. They use the same distributors.

Don't believe me, call BDS and ask them:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Zone is not made by BDS...why does everyone keep saying that? Two entirely separate companies and one does not own the other. They use the same distributors.

Don't believe me, call BDS and ask them:facepalm:
hmm. they both share the same warranty as well.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
They do? Look, Zone Off Road is owned by Sport Truck USA. I believe BDS is privately owned. They both distribute through Truckmaster Distributing. There is no connection. No shared roles and no shared manufacturing. None of their parts are made at the same place unless it is by accident.

As to warranty, BDS has it plastered all over their site. At Zone, you have to dig for it, though they are similar. But so does Honda and Toyota.

They are not the same company anymore than Ford and Chrysler.

It's like some sort of urban myth for some reason. I have seen dozens of posts and threads claiming that "zone is the lower-end part of BDS." It's not true.

The confusion lies in the fact that they share the same distrubutor and as such, they sell though local retailers.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
They do? Look, Zone Off Road is owned by Sport Truck USA. I believe BDS is privately owned. They both distribute through Truckmaster Distributing. There is no connection. No shared roles and no shared manufacturing. None of their parts are made at the same place unless it is by accident.

As to warranty, BDS has it plastered all over their site. At Zone, you have to dig for it, though they are similar. But so does Honda and Toyota.

They are not the same company anymore than Ford and Chrysler.

It's like some sort of urban myth for some reason. I have seen dozens of posts and threads claiming that "zone is the lower-end part of BDS." It's not true.

The confusion lies in the fact that they share the same distrubutor and as such, they sell though local retailers.
well i'm going to respectfully disagree until tomorrow when i can call them. until then:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What I can't tell is that Sports Truck USA and Truckmaster Distrubuting could be one in the same and, I can't tell who owns BDS for sure.

Initially my information came directly from BDS (via phone) when I was reseraching parts. I have not spoke to Zone.

Am I 100% sure.....no.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well...anyone hear that sound? That is the sound of me eating my words!

I am MOSTLY wrong and I apologize as my source (BDS) was NOT correct. Give me credit for admitting it....I feel like a dumb arse.

Anyway, here is the deal....BDS and Zone are sister companies owned by the same parent company, Sport Truck USA. Both sell through TruckMaster Distributing which is actually another sister company.

The products, though, between the two are both different, have different engineers and are sourced differently. All of BDS products are US made except for leaf springs which come from Canada....not sure of Zone.

So, to say they are the same company would not be correct. Two say they are division of the same company would be. To say that one is of a higher price point and thus quality then would also likely be true if that is your opinion. The warranty issues are different as BDS claims to have a more far-reaching one, though, that may be a matter of opinion.

For whatever reason, they seem to bury this fact and from a merchandizing stand point do not want to consumer to look at this as Caddy Vs Chevy thing, but more along the lines of when GM owned Saab. Saab and Chevy were both divisions of GM and shared very little as compared to Caddy and Chevy would might share many of the same parts and platforms. It looks like that they prefer to distance the two companies to one degree or another as they both have different markets and price-points.

PLEASE accept for apologies for my "wrongness". The person I spoke to initially was pretty adament but did not understand the entire situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts