Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the truss, weld on Artec bracket, today We added the currie axle bushing kit to the front axle.
Install was Simple with the axle out. The passenger side is hammered out. Driver side is cut in half. The new bushing actually fits inside the factory mount.

I honestly did not expect a change in handling, I was so wrong. "Night and day"
With the truss, track bar bracket. The only change was the factory bushings to Curries kit.
NOTHING else was altered. Tie rod/drag link, track bar..... Nothing but the Axle bushings.

Not often, I do something that makes such a dramatic change in drivability.

All I have to say, Highly recommend the Currie kit if doing any axle work. Kinda pricy but well worth the time and end result.

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Beat me installing the truss first. :rofl:

First hit on Google brings up Phil's thread too, lol. How were your stock bushings looking? Might consider this if I ever get mine installed.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha !!! That's right. What do I win ?

Yep .. Little scare. The passenger bushing must only go in one way. Either that or A/ Mike knew what he was doing. B/ got lucky.
If you look closely, it's angled in. Installing that in not out would alter caster a bit.
Searching I found Phils post.... It's installed the same way.

Tip...
Make sure you dont try and balance the brake caliper on a Ca.
Let's just say I'm lucky he had a spare brake line :hide:

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Here's some tomatoes. :tomatoes:

:bop:

Seems like if you installed the passenger bushing the other way, you would have to readjust one of your upper arms first and then you would know you effed up. :pcwhack: How did your stock bushings look like?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's some tomatoes. :tomatoes: :bop: Seems like if you installed the passenger bushing the other way, you would have to readjust one of your upper arms first and then you would know you effed up. :pcwhack: How did your stock bushings look like?
No adjustable arms yet. Yes you could run that arm longer. Not a big deal.

Sorry ... I only got a look at the passenger bushing. Looked pretty good.
There's nothing left if the driver. Hammering, melting, axe handle. Huge pain to remove.

I agree with Phil. Those bushings are really flexible. Tightening the bolts twists them a bit. The curries are solid. Much better control of the axle.

·
Premium Member
10,135 Posts
The Grand Cherokee SRT8's rip those axle bushings apart in no time..

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Grand Cherokee SRT8's rip those axle bushings apart in no time.. .
The stock or Currie ^

I've been sending PM's to folks who installed the Curries. Also reading through some build threads.
Apparently I'm not crazy at all. Mater of fact I have Mike welding up my Ruff stuff uppers with a heim at the frame side. All comments are positive.

·
Premium Member
10,135 Posts
The stock or Currie ^

I've been sending PM's to folks who installed the Curries. Also reading through some build threads.
Apparently I'm not crazy at all. Mater of fact I have Mike welding up my Ruff stuff uppers with a heim at the frame side. All comments are positive.
No stockers.. no one makes an aftermarket bushing for them. AWD drag racers were tearing them apart due to the torque.

·
Retired Moderator
100,458 Posts
Ken, with your expertise, and Curries quality, you have a winner!!!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,135 Posts
I'm sure somebody could fab a set easily
Not that easy... And there's very little demand since SRT8's generally are the ones ripping them apart. They are basically the same design that's used in all the OEM axles.

These went bad on my XJ... I've always thought they can contribute to front end wobbles and are overlooked. You're the only one I've seen address these.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pAa2dW_RQs0

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not that easy... And there's very little demand since SRT8's generally are the ones ripping them apart. They are basically the same design that's used in all the OEM axles. These went bad on my XJ... I've always thought they can contribute to front end wobbles and are overlooked. You're the only one I've seen address these. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pAa2dW_RQs0 .
I remember sending a PM to Planman -way back. I forget what my problem was at the time,
He said the same .." Often the uppers are overlooked" I checked them with a screw driver and all seemed well.
With me .. It was a tracking thing. Can't say it was a issue. Not flighty or following ruts, which is often a Problem for people.
All the work I've done and it just handled oddly. Pretty much contributed it to the shorter wheelbase and lack of adjustable control arms.
Installing the Curries, driving and now seeing others comments. Amazed at the difference made. The front axle doesn't dance as much or move around normal driving,
I'm going to play around with my 9000
Shock setting, the higher I can go the better dampening the shocks provide, pre Currie upgrade-like said -I was using low settings to make for a better overall ride.

:iamhappy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts