Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I've been wanting to do this write-up for awhile now to show off what I feel is a much better look than using gutter guard for the grille. There are plenty of picks and I hope easy instructions to follow. I installed a new grille this week and wanted to show you step-by-step how I did my grille.

Here are the parts needed:
1 - pack of 10 1"x1" mounting base for zip ties - $2.30 for 10 (you only need 8)
8 - 8" zip ties - $2.50 for 50 pack
1 - tube of DAP Marine Sealant - $3.00
1 - sheet of Lightweight Alloy 3003 Aluminum Perforated Sheet (Google this and there are many places that sell this for less than $20)

I painted mine with bedlining paint prior to todays project.

Make sure the back side of the grille is really clean, I mean really, really clean. I used some alcohol to clean mine.

Before placing the mounting tabs, remove the double sided tape from them. The marine sealant works much better without that stuff on the tabs.

Place a liberal amount of sealant on the back and around each side of the mounting tabs. Any excess can be rubbed off very easily after it dries. Be sure to let the sealant drive for at least 1 hour.

Place the screen on the grille.

Start weaving the zip ties starting on one end of grille like pictured below. (DO NOT ZIP THEM DOWN YET)

Once you have them all on, you can now since them tight. Do not since them to tight as they may pull off the mounts if you didn't let them dry long enough.

Once you have all the zip ties tightened down, you can cut the ends off of the zip ties.

Here it is as a finished project.

Here it is back on the Jeep.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nice work!

I like the idea of one sheet vs. many pieces.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice work I want to give this a try just need to find the aluminum sheet. If you don't mind my asking on your jeep logo did you buy a black one or did you pop off the original and paint?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Now that's the best idea I've seen. I had mounting tabs stuck all over the place.

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Nice write up! :thumb:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great detailed explanation with pics. Thank you. Ordered my screen from McMasters today, but went with the Hex/honecomb pattern. I'll post pics when done.

·
Registered
753 Posts
How is the bed line paint holding up? I used Rustoleum paint and it came right off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like this much better than the other one with single pieces. Nice job and thanks for sharing! The top and bottom don't vibrate at higher speeds?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts