Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had some time today to do a little fitting the slider/steps driver side. Mounted to the frame and tapped and threaded in with 5/16" grade 8 bolts to the 1/4" plate steel welded to the two support arms. Adding one center vertical support going thru the floor board just at front edge of the seat and a with reinforcing plate top of of the floor. So will have three anchor points holding the slider/steps in place. Happy so far with the current fit and can get to the final welding of end caps, maybe tomorrow.:beerdrinking:

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished the drivers side and used Rustoleum truck bed liner spray paint.
Has a nice anti-skid type finish but not too rough and should be easy to clean.
Next, to weld up the passenger side parts and replicate for the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sticking parts together on passenger side. I work on these when I ain't helping my son at his work.:drinks:

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
what size is the rectangle tube of the step? i really like the way these are looking.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Measurement is 1-1/2" x 4" x 3/16" mild steel. They are fairly heavy and 33lbs. each. I have a habit of adding drain/vent holes in steel projects like these and did drill a few 1/4" holes on the the undersides.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted earlier that I used 5/16" grade 8 bolts to the frame, however I changed to a flanged 3/8" grade 8 bolt. Now I have a couple pics of the passenger side frame where apparently at sometime before I got this YJ, 3 years ago, there are several 3/8" bolts in almost the exact spot that I'm mounting the sliders to on the frame and actually reused two of the already existing 3/8" threaded holes just forward of front body mount. These existing 3/8" bolts I removed look like factory style bolts.:blackeye
The drivers side also had the same existing bolts as the passenger side, but I don't recall seeing them on other YJ frames.
Pic on the top is at front and the bottom pic is at the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally completed and install on the driver side. Still needs a bit of clean up on the other side and paint. Looks like I have a few days at home to tinker with it. :drinks:

Have 20" clearance from ground to bottom of these things and almost full tire coverage. Last thanksgiving, I had a rock knockout the drivers side mirror from the mud tires sticking out past the fender flairs while out on some rough hard rock roads. :jawdrop: so thought these rock sliders might help with self inflicted flying rocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
looks great! i need to build a set!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts