Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys take a look at what i did this weekend. Took a grinder and cutoff wheel to the bumper. Installed some lights and painted my sock rims. The rims will look better in two weeks when i get my 31 bfg mts on them, but i think they look pretty good. Tell me what you think.

Original without the milkjugs.

After cutoff wheel and welding holes shut.

After paint and lights working.

Rims original with stock tires.

After sanding and primeing.

Done. Puting 31 in. Bfg Mts on and rusty's 2 in suspension lift on in two weeks.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
What paint did you use on those rims?

~Lev

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i was trying to figure out what would be the best thing to do for recovery on the front. My rear bumper has d rings so i was thinking some on the front. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've seen d rings for sale around here. But where do you get the bracket that you weld to the bumper? I've tried to find some on the internet, but don't really know what they're called.

·
Registered
973 Posts

Poison Spyder customs has them on their site for $30

AtoZfabrication has the through the bumper kind $18

and they have the surface weld kind for $23

i know others have them, but these two were on the top of my head. AtoZfabrication.com has alot of cool DIY bumper fab stuff on their site as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are these rings better than the hooks that bolt to the top of the bumper?
And which one of those brackets is the best?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Are these rings better than the hooks that bolt to the top of the bumper?
Well, It really depends if the welder did a good job, And how how thick the metal is.

And which one of those brackets is the best?
I would use this one, looks thicker and stronger.

Stick to the triangle shapes, they just tend to be stronger. Always be careful about side pulling anything tho.

~Lev

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Man, those damn wheels came out awesome. Did you do any knid of sanding at all on them before you painted them? I've always thought about doing that to my aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah i used 400 grit sandpaper, then primed the whole thing. Then sanded the primer with 1500 grit. I used automotive paint, but i don't think that the spray canned paint and clear would look too bad.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Cool. I've been needing to take my tires off the rim and smooth them out from the rock rash. Would you suggest a different approach with chrome rims vs. the stock?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Cool. I've been needing to take my tires off the rim and smooth them out from the rock rash. Would you suggest a different approach with chrome rims vs. the stock?
From what iv read, you dont paint chrome rims unless you can have them stripped then painted.

~Lev

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if they were crome, i would leave some edge or somthing chrome just for looks. But as for technique sand them by hand real good with 80 grit sandpaper. Make sure the finish is good and dull. Any shiny spots will peel. Then go to an automotive paint supply store and get self etching primer. I use a brand that comes in a spray can. Prime the whole with three coats. When dry sand with 400 grit. Prime with two more coats, then sand with 1500 grit. Run your hand over the whole thing to make sure it's sanded smooth. Then paint. If you want to leave some crome just make sure you mask it off well. Oh, and before you prime it make sure you clean it well with a wax and grease remover. If you have any more questions let me know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what iv read, you dont paint chrome rims unless you can have them stripped then painted.
I wouldn't think you would have a problem as long as it's sanded well. I've painted some other smaller chrome pieces without any problems. But i could be wrong, my dad owns a body shop i'll ask him tommorrow about the durability of painted chrome.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I wouldn't think you would have a problem as long as it's sanded well. I've painted some other smaller chrome pieces without any problems. But i could be wrong, my dad owns a body shop i'll ask him tommorrow about the durability of painted chrome.
Yea, I'v looked around and did some reading. Some say you should have it stripped some say have it sanded real well like you said.

But I agree, You would think as long as its sanded well it should stick.

~Lev

1 - 20 of 41 Posts