Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an overnighter coming up, which motivated me to install a set of (8) Oznium LED floods that I purchased last fall for rock lights. The installation really wasn't bad at all. Took about four hours total, taking my time. I am bit of a stickler for wiring, so I made my own harness.

Starting off with the switch panel, I installed an ARB style rock light switch.

Next, prepped the surfaces with 150 grit sandpaper and acetone. I bonded the magnets to the aluminum light housing using a fast drying two part epoxy. I ordered the magnets from an eBay seller oversees. I believe they are 30mm round and 3mm thick and have an unbelievable amount of holding power. A word of caution, be very careful with handling the magnets, because they could literally break the skin if they snap together.

I test mounted the lights with two on each corner (front and rear of the tires) and drove around a bit to make sure they would not move, then went to work on the wiring. For the harness, I used marine grade 2x18ga wire and decided to direct wire each light with heat shrink, so in the event one does get knocked off, I will not loose it.

I moved the two front lights out after this picture, which illuminated the front tires better, but I still have a narrow center section in the front that is not illuminated. I plan on testing them out this weekend and hope that when the Jeep is stretched out more the lights will give me full coverage. If not, I will probably add two more lamps under the front bumper to help out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
looks good! I have used Oznium products for about 5 years now. Great product, great customer service, just a little pricey. But Phil will take care of you hands down!

·
Registered
274 Posts
That looks great! Did you just order the flood LEDs? $17ish dollars each, right?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have an overnighter coming up, which motivated me to install a set of (8) Oznium LED floods that I purchased last fall for rock lights. The installation really wasn't bad at all. Took about four hours total, taking my time. I am bit of a stickler for wiring, so I made my own harness. Starting off with the switch panel, I installed an ARB style rock light switch. Next, prepped the surfaces with 150 grit sandpaper and acetone. I bonded the magnets to the aluminum light housing using a fast drying two part epoxy. I ordered the magnets from an eBay seller oversees. I believe they are 30mm round and 3mm thick and have an unbelievable amount of holding power. A word of caution, be very careful with handling the magnets, because they could literally break the skin if they snap together. I test mounted the lights with two on each corner (front and rear of the tires) and drove around a bit to make sure they would not move, then went to work on the wiring. For the harness, I used marine grade 2x18ga wire and decided to direct wire each light with heat shrink, so in the event one does get knocked off, I will not loose it. I moved the two front lights out after this picture, which illuminated the front tires better, but I still have a narrow center section in the front that is not illuminated. I plan on testing them out this weekend and hope that when the Jeep is stretched out more the lights will give me full coverage. If not, I will probably add two more lamps under the front bumper to help out.

hey man I know it's been awhile but can you post some updates pictures and where exactly they are mounted. how have they treated you the last 2 years? I'm looking for some good rock lights and it seems most everyone really likes them. how many total do you have?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, been a while since I was on the site, but I epoxy'd magnets to the lights and they worked like a charm. May have used 9 or 10 lights total.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts