Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a 1990 Jeep YJ 6" of lift on currently 33" tires

Hey so I've spent allot of time shopping around and nothing really fit what I wanted so I played with cardboard today and made a tentative template to be fabricated. Rather than try to tell you about it I just made a short video.

Here is the video link:
VIDEO OVERVIEW OF MY IDEA:
My current template for Ms. Chow Jeep YJ Rock Sliders / Guards ... - YouTube

Not the best video in the world but I think it works out. I ask questions during the video about areas of the design I'm a bit unsure of.

lAlso if your a fabricator feel free to message me both a kit price and/or a fully built and welded price. Because saddly I'm not nearly as good with metal as I am carbboard. I can weld though. I just don't know anything about cutting and bending of the metal. I want it to be 1 3/4" - dom tube and 3/16 steal sheet.

Thanks for feedback.. Both good and BAD. I'm learning here so maybe my idea partly sucks. MY feelings aren't going to get hurt just tell me what you think.

-Dave

·
Registered
563 Posts
I was only able to view the first 20 seconds or so because I don't have good service and my phone is junk. But I saw the view from the side, and I've seen a few people on here that have done something similar. I don't remember names though. One guy made his out of square tubing and flat metal, and didn't bend anything.

I'll watch the whole video tonight when I get home. Hopefully I'll be of more help then.

·
Registered
586 Posts
All I can really suggest is to scan the web and look at how the store bought ones are fabricated and mounted. Any shop that does custom exhaust work should be able to bend the pipe for you.

·
Registered
511 Posts
All I can really suggest is to scan the web and look at how the store bought ones are fabricated and mounted. Any shop that does custom exhaust work should be able to bend the pipe for you.
x2

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
''

I've scanned the web for months in search of the right item for me. It does not exist. Hence why I am beginning to try tackling it myself. Its a more solid design than I have found premade anywhere. Overkill, maybe? Pointless overkill, maybe? The area towards the front how I am thinking to protect even the bass lower side of the fenders, silly? I dunno. And I can't help but figure there must be a reason am yet to find even one manufacture that runs the body style sliders ALL the was from wheel-well to wheel-well. Everthing I've see cuts short of even the fender flares. Yes, I'll be scratching and banging the hell outta these but why not have then look like they actually fit and why not have them cover the WHOLE length? The questions I bring up in the video are questions I desire to get feed back on, from more experienced people, than I.

I've very surprised I've pretty much got suggestions to search. I do still appricate the responces for the idea to search, but believe me I'm all searched out. I'm hoping some fabricators who have build their own chime in, and or people who have put a lot of use and know where the strong points should be. Feedback on the design I've started based on knowledge found on the web is what I seek

Photos of other sliders from the bottom view would me great too. I've got a 4 banger and won't go above 35" tires, most likely will have my 33's for another 1.5 years; then I may even stick with 33"s. This combined with just a total of 6" lift means for the trails I do THESE WILL GET A BEATING. No big wheeler here, just a modest jeep I drive to the trail head.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was only able to view the first 20 seconds or so because I don't have good service and my phone is junk. But I saw the view from the side, and I've seen a few people on here that have done something similar. I don't remember names though. One guy made his out of square tubing and flat metal, and didn't bend anything.

I'll watch the whole video tonight when I get home. Hopefully I'll be of more help then.
Thanks for trying. I did find one set square style made by:
Koz Off Road, Inc - Catalog (I'd ditch the step)

I was pretty much ready to go with it but 1) He is no longer making them, and 2) the underside of the design may or may not have been to my liking. MOST prefab items I have seen come 4 to 5"'s up the side of the body and on the underside are anywhere from as thin as 1" in to 4" on nicer models. Of course, even with months of search, I'm sure I missed some. But when getting into prices starting to reach and exceed 500, and still not finding matches for my desires, this forced me to play with cardboard.

Look foward to any thoughts you may have.

-Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea on thinking about an exhaust shop. A nice family owned place is just a few miles from me. They rerouted my exhaust nicely to prevent me from re crushing it. I'd love to give them more business. I'll keep this in mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts