Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any of you done any custom work to your tailgates??? Im looking to do something interesting to mine but i dont know what i want to do, need ideas!
Help

·
Registered
250 Posts
do what I did.....REMOVE IT. it does no good after having a swing out tire carrier. After that, going to build me a storage box to go from rear of seat to a half inch shy of the carrier. No tailgate means a little bit larger box.....

·
Registered
890 Posts
JP Magazine installed that this month in a weight reduction writeup.
I am inquiring about the conversion because my Wrangler tailgate is rotted and I have to replace it before paint; (Monstaliner). Anyway, Wrangler part-outs are hard to come by in my area, but CJ part outs are popular. So.... since I have CJ tailgates cheaply available, I am kind of being forced in the conversion direction. However, you can bet your ass that I am never going to spend $400 to do it. I would get a replacement swingout tailgate for $300 before I spend the $400, but I will never spend the $300 either.

At this point I am curious how hard the conversion would be, what would be required for work, is it possible, has anybody done it, what parts I need to get with the gate, etc...

·
Registered
53 Posts
JP Magazine installed that this month in a weight reduction writeup.
I am inquiring about the conversion because my Wrangler tailgate is rotted and I have to replace it before paint; (Monstaliner). Anyway, Wrangler part-outs are hard to come by in my area, but CJ part outs are popular. So.... since I have CJ tailgates cheaply available, I am kind of being forced in the conversion direction. However, you can bet your ass that I am never going to spend $400 to do it. I would get a replacement swingout tailgate for $300 before I spend the $400, but I will never spend the $300 either.

At this point I am curious how hard the conversion would be, what would be required for work, is it possible, has anybody done it, what parts I need to get with the gate, etc...
Ya, it's a chunk of change, but between that and a stocker, I'll go with Poison Spyder - don't much care for the swing out.

My tailgate was tweaked hard by the previous owner backing into to something. By the time I get a gate, weather seal and hinges I'm about the same price.

If we had any Jeep parts around here I'd be looking at it your way, but unless it's an XJ there's nothing.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ya, it's a chunk of change, but between that and a stocker, I'll go with Poison Spyder - don't much care for the swing out.

My tailgate was tweaked hard by the previous owner backing into to something. By the time I get a gate, weather seal and hinges I'm about the same price.

If we had any Jeep parts around here I'd be looking at it your way, but unless it's an XJ there's nothing.
Cool.
I was reading the instructions on that link that you posted. It doesn't look like there is a latch and pin setup to install. Looks like just a turnkey style latch that goes on the tailgate? IDK, I'm a little confused or their instructions are iffy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts