Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I never intended to “wheel” my Jeep any more than light trails while camping, I never really considered a “build” thread for Tigger. But I’m planning a project that I thought some of you may find interesting so I guess I’ll document it here.

Background: I ordered Tigger on the first day of the first allotment of Sunset Orange and got her on November 8, 2014. She’s a pretty stripped down model as I wanted manual windows and locks as well as a standard transmission. My only options were the Freedom Hardtop, air-conditioning, the base level U-connect stereo, 3.73 gears and the black steel wheels with 245/75R16 Bridgestones.

So far my modifications have been pretty simple. I’ve “shaved” all the Jeep branding stickers and emblems, replaced the chrome antenna with a black 24” AntennaX and added Smittybilt rails/steps, doorsill guards, a receiver hitch and Coverking seatcovers.

So now, what s a two door Wrangler owner going to do with a damaged Unlimited hardtop that I won on eBay for $0.99?

And does anyone have a left and/or right damaged Freedom top panel(s) that they’d like to donate or sale (inexpensively) to the project? (Because I can’t really start the project until I score the panels…) Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, who knew damaged freedom top front panels would be so hard to find... I figured that would be an easy score for this project.

I'm trying to make a one piece "surrey" style hardtop similar to the concept below but with my Yakima Load Warrior basket mounted to it.

Plan B is to use my hardtop panels without bonding them to the new (but sectioned) rear Unlimited top and cantilevering the basket over the front panels. But I'd rather bond in another set of freedom panels so it could be one piece with the basket mounted more solidly.

For now the search continues.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the project can start back up now. I got a set of the front freedom top panels for a pretty reasonable price!

Next step is figure out how much I need to section out of the length of the Unlimited rear section. Should be around 20" I believe...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason I can't load more than one pic at a time from my phone so here's another shot with the sections pushed up together.

Next step is to lay it all up on the Jeep to mark the final cuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm interested on how this is going to work out. You're going for the bigger windows too? What are you going to use to bond it back together?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm interested on how this is going to work out. You're going for the bigger windows too? What are you going to use to bond it back together?
No windows at all. Just going to be a roof and the rear corner posts (see the concept vehicle a few posts up), plus my Yakima Load Warrior basket mounted on top. As for the bonding, I'll be fiberglassing all the pieces together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts