Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother accidently cut and made a hole in my brake line when we tried to remove passenger fender.

Do you think I can fix it somehow? Or I need to replace whole line?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your local auto parts store should have a brake line splice kit you can use to fix that. You'll need to bleed the brake line once you have spliced it.
Nice! Thanks bro. I actually went to Advance Auto Parts and all 3 of the employees said I should just replace full line lol. Would you happen to have a link with a good one to ebay or amazon?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Whatever you do do not use a compression fitting.
Yes the correct fix it to reolace the line....
You are trying to get out of a $10 1 hour job here.

You CAN fix it but to do it correctly requires cutting, adding 2 fittings and double flaring the line and threading them into a coupler.... will look just like the pic above...
That is a perfectly correct fix IF you do it right and the line doesn't split when you double flare it.

Replacing the damaged line leaves almost no chance of a mistake...

All that's riding on this is your life and the lives of everyone around you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever you do do not use a compression fitting.
Yes the correct fix it to reolace the line....
You are trying to get out of a $10 1 hour job here.

You CAN fix it but to do it correctly requires cutting, adding 2 fittings and double flaring the line and threading them into a coupler.... will look just like the pic above...
That is a perfectly correct fix IF you do it right and the line doesn't split when you double flare it.

Replacing the damaged line leaves almost no chance of a mistake...

All that's riding on this is your life and the lives of everyone around you.
So you saying I should cut the line and get them together, but instead of using compression, I should use flaring tool?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'm saying you should replace the line....
I'm saying that if you absolutely refuse to do that then at the very least use a double flare on each new fitting.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Where that cut is, might be difficult to cut, double flare with fitting on the end near the bend. I would replace the line, would be the safest and smartest thing to do.

Then I would find a more competent helper

·
Registered
808 Posts
Remove the old line and take it to oreilley/advance auto/etc. They sell stock straight tubing. Get the length you need and bend it like the old one by hand. I did this on my old TJ that had a rusted hard line.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the help. What I am confused with is why replace whole line if I'll have to do double flare either way? If I buy lets say 10ft of brake line, I'll still have to double flare each side, right?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Buy a couple of premade lengths with the correct fittings on them to come close to the original length piece and a coupler as shown above. You won't need to do any flaring that way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the length is 105.5, so I might have to get one in 72 and one in 40. Will that one mentioned above work as far as fitment goes? I also have inverted 3/16 union. Will that work with those lines?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I think the length is 105.5, so I might have to get one in 72 and one in 40. Will that one mentioned above work as far as fitment goes? I also have inverted 3/16 union. Will that work with those lines?

you could... inline tube sells a stainless kit you could probably call them and buy the one line you need.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Take off the old one and take it to the parts store... match it up with the pieces needed to replace it and install em... you don't have to do any flaring...

If you can't match the length exactly get longer.... It's EASY to use up a little extra length with a few extra bends.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The ones I got bend easily. Here is my question. I got tubes with regular flares. Will my inverted flare union work with regular single flares?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The ones I got bend easily.
Of course they do and will kink easily too, if you don't use a tubing bender.

Here is my question. I got tubes with regular flares. Will my inverted flare union work with regular single flares?
Single flare lines are not Brake lines do not use them!!! They have a higher risk of failure!!!

Do as you like it's your life and the lives of all that are around you.

I think you're way in over your skill level, DO take the advice of Clutch, Digger, and Gottagofast, in this thread they know what needs to be done and the proper parts and tools to do it with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone run the Nickel-Copper alloy brake lines? I've seen how easily they bend to go in and have heard the great life they have and even with a lifetime rust warranty. They're a lot more expensive but seem highly recommended. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts