Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my steering stabilizer is leaking and I went to replace it and I guess the nut got cross threaded because neither a 250 lb man with a breaker bar or a 250 ft/lb impact hammer will move it. The retaining tab on the bolt broke when we were hitting with them impact hammer so now it spins freely.

It's going to need to be cut off so does anyone have any advice on where to cut? I've got a sawzal , Dremel with cutoff wheel and angle grinder. Just cut the stabilizer mounting hoop/bushing then cut the bolt off in the middle? Cut the bolt head off? Obviously I'd like to avoid taking any material off the mount if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Try and cut a slice out of the nut with your dremel, then you should be able to bend the rest of the nut off the bolt. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try and cut a slice out of the nut with your dremel, then you should be able to bend the rest of the nut off the bolt. If that makes sense.
This worked like a charm, thanks again. Although I ended up having to cut the nut in 3 places because it was so frozen on there. The threads almost looked like they'd welded to the nut. I have no idea how that happened, but I didn't put the stabilizer on in the first place.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
This worked like a charm, thanks again. Although I ended up having to cut the nut in 3 places because it was so frozen on there. The threads almost looked like they'd welded to the nut. I have no idea how that happened, but I didn't put the stabilizer on in the first place.
Glad it worked for ya. Amazing how that rust will start with the littlest amount of encouragement. Glad we don't live where salt is common road treatment.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Monkey used a torque wrench
Haha, that must be it!

Glad it worked for ya. Amazing how that rust will start with the littlest amount of encouragement. Glad we don't live where salt is common road treatment.
Yeah for sure! It has been up to Colorado a few times over the last 2 winters, but I wouldn't think a week of driving on salted roads would cause it. Who knows, it's off now. I'm just glad the stabilizer has a lifetime warranty so I won't have to spend any money fixing it at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts