Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
89 2.5 Wrangler

Aloha, noob here. 89 2.5 Wrangler

I did a search in forum, and didn't find any threads on this so....

The rear floorboard, is it double walled/tubed? I have it zeroed in and ready to use my plasma cutter, but perhaps I need to use another device? Thanks in advance.

My project YJ

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
first of all a plasm will blow sparks all over your gas tank which is not a good idea..besides that,cutting it out and building a patch to go back over it is about as much if not more work than dropping the tank in my opinion..if you drop your tank and replace everything it will probably be a very long time before it will need it again so why blow holes in your stuff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Too much heat going on top of the plastic tank? Unless you have the tank out already. I have used metal shears on many trucks-truck beds. I also did a grand cherokee that way. It makes it a lot easier if your pump goes bad and you need to get back up and running quick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first of all a plasm will blow sparks all over your gas tank which is not a good idea..besides that,cutting it out and building a patch to go back over it is about as much if not more work than dropping the tank in my opinion..if you drop your tank and replace everything it will probably be a very long time before it will need it again so why blow holes in your stuff
I have a 3/16" thick steel plate between top of steel tank and floorboard, not my first rodeo :) Tank is dry too. The floor is getting a thick stainless steel skin afterwards. This will be by no means a show truck. It will only be used for spearfishing on weekends and hauling my dog to beach.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I considered doing the same thing but I didn't want to risk having to re-frame around the hole or making the floor soft. Dropping the tank sucks but it's not that hard so it wasn't worth doing for me (even after I had to drop the tank 3 times when I was having fuel pump issues).

Denis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts