Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running 35s as shown in the pic. Thinking of 37s but don't want to add to the bump stop. As you can see, the 35 fits almost perfectly at full flex. Is it possible to cut an inch or so all the way around the wheel well to add more room for the 37? Or will it weaken the body too much?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
i would not cut the sheet metal unless it is a vehicle you are going to keep forever. what kind of fender flares do you have? some have more clearance than others

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Why don't you want to up the bump stop? Like everything else, it's a trade off.

I probably wouldn't cut that particular pinch weld unless I was doing a comp cut or something and moving the wheels way back, and I have been known to cut a lot of things with wreckless abandon.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would not cut the sheet metal unless it is a vehicle you are going to keep forever. what kind of fender flares do you have? some have more clearance than others
The plan is to keep it forever or close to forever. Bushwacker. Not really a fender issue that I can see.

Why don't you want to up the bump stop? Like everything else, it's a trade off.

I probably wouldn't cut that particular pinch weld unless I was doing a comp cut or something and moving the wheels way back, and I have been known to cut a lot of things with wreckless abandon.
Don't want to add to the bumpstop to reduce up travel.

Currentlly just thinking about the idea and asking if it is a major no-no. The jeep has 2.5 lift and wheels great, but it is tire time and you know how that goes. I did wheel with another JK with 2.5 lift and 37s. He made it over stuff that I scraped on.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
For 37's, you need at least 3" of lift. You can keep the bump stops that came with a 2.5" lift and be fine.

I run 37's on 3.25" if lift with the bump stops that came with my 2.5" Teraflex kit. I actually could take a 1/2" off of them and still be OK.

The only sheet metal I cut on mine was the rear pinch seam and I didn't have to take much off. I did push my rear axle back an inch to make sure I was clear front and back and to center the tire in the wheel well.

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts
I am currently running 37" KO2's with the Mopar 2" springs (around 3" of lift up front and 2" of lift in back) and 2" bump stop extensions front and rear. We also have tube fenders, but no sheet metal was cut. The 37's fit fine and don't rub. I didn't have to trim the pinch seam, but ours is a 2016 and their pinch seams are trimmed from the factory better than the earlier Jeeps as I understand it. I did trim the factory rock rails, and I have six out of eight adjustable control arms, so I have a fair amount of ability to move axles forward or backward as required. But I have used that mainly for pinion angle.
You can fit 35" tires with just an inch extra rear bump stop, so it stands to reason that you could fit 37's with only 2" of extra bump stop in the rear and no real trimming of sheet metal. A tire 2" larger in diameter is only 1" closer to the Jeep. So only 1" more bump stop should be required compared to 35" tires. If you do not want to add that extra 1" of bump stop I would say you should not run 37's.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
If you put 37's on without bump stops, then the tire will become the stop at nearly the same distance as if you properly bump stopped it. I personally dont have any additional bump stop on the rear of my jeep, but thats because the rear wont flex out properly on my rig because of the stock control arms and sport rear swaybar (rubicon rear bar is smaller diameter).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts