Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Cutting stock flares

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Coyote58 
#1 ·
Has anyone been daring enough to cut their stock fender flares to get some more clearance with their tires and get that nice flat flare look on their jeep? I'm on a tight budget and figured it's be better to cut my flares than purchase bushwhackers. Anyone have pics and or recommendations on where and how I should cut mine?

#4 ·
I trimmed a little over an inch off mine when moving up to 35's.

And a sharp box cutter worked best for me too. Have extra blades handy.
I first tried a dremel, a multi-tool, and a jigsaw, but the heat generated was too much, and did not work so good.
I used a home made compass/jig with a marker to trace a line following the edge of the flares for a stock appearance. Cut the line carefully with multiple passes of the blade.

Mine didn't turn out so bad I think. I ended up cutting off the front fenders later for flat fenders. LOL!

Before:

After:

#6 ·
JUST DO IT!!!!!!!! Seriously, use green masking tape, pick your line, pull about 2-3ft of tape you'll get a straighter line, using a sharp exacto blade make a light cut following the line, make several passes, go light each time, the knife will follow the path of least resistance which will be the last pass of the blade you made, each time getting deeper. You will eventually see that you can bend and open up the cut making better cuts, sand and finish to taste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.