Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
So this morning here in beautiful, sunny Wisconsin we were having a white-out. 50-yard visibility, with 30 mph winds. Good day to put your head in the oven, or something. :thumb:

Instead of baking my cabeza, I decided to trim the pinch seams on my Jeep. Now, a lotta peeps think this is a must when running 35" or larger tires, but that's not necessarily the case. A lot of things factor into it: the size of your lift, the running size of your tires, whether or not your lift has adj ca's & tb's, etc.

Also, when you stuff your rear wheels, they generally go up, and slightly to the back, which moves them away from the cursed pinch seams. But again, this depends on your lift, tires, etc.

The pinch seam is most dangerous when you air down. Crossing an obstacle – a log, a rock, a trench – will bulge your aired-down tire. That's where many peeps run into trouble with the pinch seams.

Mine PROBABLY had enough clearance to not be a problem, but I keep looking at it, and thinking about it, and eventually decided that it had to go. Plus last night I dreamed about it slicing my tire on the freeway, and jerked awake to echoing laughter, so...:D

There's a thread on WF about the "bend" method of getting rid of the pinch seam, where you take a BFH and pound the crap out of it till it bends back and in. Seeing as how I'm no caveman, I decided on a more refined method.

Here it is, pretty much step-by-step.

*****WARNING: Some of the steps outlined here are anal, and can be avoided by those of you who are less concerned with quality, rather than results.*****

Here's what you need to do the job. Pretty much self-explanatory. Two things not in the photo that I used were safety glasses, and a putty knife for spreading the JB Weld.
View attachment 96337

The offending portion of the rear pinch seam, with painter's tape to guide my cut.
View attachment 96338

Close-up of the pinch seam. The plastic on mine is the tail end of some Bushwacker body armor. That's toast, too. If you run your fingers along the back side of the pinch seam, you'll feel a channel. If you cut into the channel, you'll expose a gap in the sheets of metal that will need to be filled with JB Weld and sanded before you rustproof and paint the cut edges of the seam. In my case, I didn't feel it was necessary to make that deep of a cut, though I still used some JB Weld. You'll see why in a few.
View attachment 96339

Post-surgery. Man, my hands are steady. Like stone. :D Make sure you don't goof around with the cut; start it, set the blade and let er rip. If you stop and start a bunch, or hesitate, you'll end up with a zig-zag. I don't think it took a full minute to lop the whole corner off.
View attachment 96340

Tight shot of the cut. Notice the separated strips of sheet metal. That's because, when you cut off the corner of the pinch seam, you're cutting off the end-most spot-weld that holds the various metal panels together. But fear not, there are welds all along the bottom of your pinch seam. The Jeep body won't come flying off next time you peg the speedometer on the freeway. Hopefully. :)
View attachment 96341
I will cut mine as well. (see pics attached), but just out of curiosity, why would Jeep design it that way if its not needed!!!.
I am serious, why??? is it absolutely safe to cut/trim the pinch seams like that???

Attachments

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
lol...I agree. Give me summer or bury me in snow. :punk:
Dude, where in WI are you? I lived in WI for 2.5 years and come the middle/end of July, it was damned HOT!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I will cut mine as well. (see pics attached), but just out of curiosity, why would Jeep design it that way if its not needed!!!.
I am serious, why??? is it absolutely safe to cut/trim the pinch seams like that???
Jeep builds the Wrangler based on keeping it stock; they don't design it for things like 35" tires...hence, you wanna run 35's, you gotta make some modifications (and cutting the pinch seams is pretty minor, in comparison to some of the other things you might need to do, such as beefing up your front axle).

It's perfectly safe. Tons of peeps have done it or will do it. Just one of the tolls you gotta pay to run big tires. :thumb:

Hardest part will be actually cutting off a part of your Jeep, if you've never done it. But I'm with z...having a black Jeep makes it much easier to work with.

Dude, where in WI are you? I lived in WI for 2.5 years and come the middle/end of July, it was damned HOT!
You realize this thread was started back in February, don't you? :)

Yesterday it was almost 100º here.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Jeep builds the Wrangler based on keeping it stock; they don't design it for things like 35" tires...hence, you wanna run 35's, you gotta make some modifications (and cutting the pinch seams is pretty minor, in comparison to some of the other things you might need to do, such as beefing up your front axle).

It's perfectly safe. Tons of peeps have done it or will do it. Just one of the tolls you gotta pay to run big tires. :thumb:

Hardest part will be actually cutting off a part of your Jeep, if you've never done it. But I'm with z...having a black Jeep makes it much easier to work with.

You realize this thread was started back in February, don't you? :)

Yesterday it was almost 100º here.
Well, looks like I won't be getting a reimbursement on that ticket I just purchased from "Fail Air." :redface:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hows the jb weld hold up alone?, do ya think a rust treatment then fiberglass over the jb, then prime and paint would be necessary? Never used jb for body repair.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well, looks like I won't be getting a reimbursement on that ticket I just purchased from "Fail Air." :redface:
Hahaha...man, you had me confused there for a minute. I actually had to go back and read the beginning of the post before I figured it out.

Hows the jb weld hold up alone?, do ya think a rust treatment then fiberglass over the jb, then prime and paint would be necessary? Never used jb for body repair.
The JB weld has worked fine for me, through snow, road salt, mud, heat, etc. BUT, I treated mine and painted over it (several coats). Also, I only filled in the small gaps btw the sheet metal @ the tail end of my pinch seam...I'm not sure how it would hold up by itself, or if you had to cut into the "pocket" on the pinch seam, and fill that in.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Hahaha...man, you had me confused there for a minute. I actually had to go back and read the beginning of the post before I figured it out.
My bad! :D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I actually used JB weld to patch some small rust holes in the roof of an XJ once. It held up perfectly until the rust started re-attacking areas around the JB. I ended up having to redo it larger once every spring or so, but it wasn't the JB weld's fault.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Okay, so this is my first post as I just got my first Jeep on Saturday. Bought my wife's a week before and fell in love. Needless to say, I don't miss my F-150. Anyway, I just got some 33 Nitto Grapplers installed last night and was wondering if I should make cuts. I am putting a 2.5 lift on this weekend and am wondering if that's going to be enough or if I should sacrifice the metal.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Okay, so this is my first post as I just got my first Jeep on Saturday. Bought my wife's a week before and fell in love. Needless to say, I don't miss my F-150. Anyway, I just got some 33 Nitto Grapplers installed last night and was wondering if I should make cuts. I am putting a 2.5 lift on this weekend and am wondering if that's going to be enough or if I should sacrifice the metal.
You shouldn't need to trim the pinch seams with a 2.5" lift and 33" tires. Best bet is to get everything installed, then see how it looks. There's no hard and fast measurement that says when you need to trim and when you don't...if you read my initial thread, I'm not even 100% sure I need to trim mine.

Welcome to WF.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It's freezing here in the mornings now. Somewhere in the mid 60's, and 100 degrees riding home
. Thank god it cooled down here in the desert!

Funny about the pinch seams; I just noticed how far they and the rubi rails stick out. Not an issue with me yet with 33's, but some day.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I cheated and took it to a local Jeep shop and had them fold the pinch seam back and trim it a little bit... or reverse that order. Not really sure, just know it's no longer an issue. Didn't want to pop my brand new 35's... this had previously been the only thing keeping me from off-roading.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Rainy day so I finally bit the bullet. Turned out better than expected. Now for some JB Weld.

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Car

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Fender

Bumper Automotive exterior Fender Auto part Automotive lighting

41 - 60 of 65 Posts