Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi everybody,

I am from Italy, I was wondering what's the perception of covid19 in the US...
Here (as other European countries are finding out) we have a very very serious situation, who says it's just a flu should come to our hospitals that are facing the most incredible emergency since the WWII.
For the moment, we are asked to stay in our homes and go out only for very very necessary reasons (eg. food/medicines) with cops and army going around to make sure everyone follow the rules.
To give you an idea, the army was involved in a city in the north of Italy to take away the corpses of all the people that died (just yesterday 700 people deceased, total more than 4 thousand in 3 weeks) because they don't know where to put those poor bodies.
The real problem with this virus is the impact that is going to have on hospitals, because the contagion is INCREDIBLY fast and a high % of infected need intensive care support for WEEKS, not days.
I hope everyone understands that the only way so deal with this tragedy is to avoid going around, for the safety of our elders and weakest that risk their lives.
I see that slowly the world is understanding that it really isn't "just a flu", my brother lives in London and is shocked by the fact that still hundreds of thounsands of people are going around (he currently has symptoms and is staying at home, I really hope he won't need to find out how UK health structures work).

Please, stay at home, stay at home, stay at home.

I really miss going out with my Jeep, who knows when it will be possible to go around again with some friends...

ciao
Simone

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Simone!
Wow. Oh...wow.
Thank you very much for posting as I think the information you gave us of your situation in Italy is important and, again, I thank you for posting.
What you told us is something we need to hear especially now while we're entering into this unprecedented crisis.
To answer your question, I believe the US is taking this very seriously. I live in a state where the COVID-19 is just beginning. At this time, my area has had 3 deaths and the local military has been deployed everywhere. Never in my life have I ever seen so much military in my city.
This has become really damn scary.
We are a very large and strange country where, because of how our government was created, each state will respond differently. However, the entirety of the US is doing what they can to try and control our levels of outbreak.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, the media will sensationalize anything to get people to watch them, and sadly, this hasn't been helpful in maintaining social order.
I hope you didn't take offense to our need for humor at this time. I assure you we're not making fun of the seriousness of COVID-19. We're using humor to cope with this surreal situation. Maybe it's an American thing?
Thank you for sharing your situation. I will share it with many people.
I pray your life in Italy gets better.
I pray you and your family survive and stay healthy.

My family is staying home. I won't be as I work in an essential industry that can't close. We're being very careful though.

Best of health to you as well as to everyone who reads this post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Misshell,

absolutely no offense, we are very used to laugh about anything and also taking everything with humor, that always helped us face obstacles and bad times!!

All I wanted to do was sharing some information because what I see is that (take UK for example) our political "leaders" are often trying to pass the message that "flu makes more deaths", it is simply not true...
I really don't know how long will it take to go back no our normal lives, I can only hope that an appropriate cure is going to be found out shortly because it's all we need in the short-medium term.
Here in Italy looks like there are some good news about that, having so many cases (and deaths) is helping somehow the research for an effective cure (the results are being shared across all the scientific community).
The good thing I see is that there is so much contribution from everybody (here, our european partners are still watching us and deciding what to do) we managed to create like hundreds of intensive care units in a few days...
Something people don't really get is that we risk to get to a point (we are already there actually) where the medics need to decide who is going to be assisted and who is not...because the numbers and the spreading are incredibly high and fast, and people still suffer from cancer, heart strokes and so on, and need to be assisted as well...

By the way, I will try to fix the radio on my YJ, it stopped working after the last trip (and rain), in my weekend I have plenty of time to spend on that!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also will post a picture that really upset me...

As I said, in a town in the north of Italy (which is known for being rich) it was necessary to take out the corpses of people that died in the last few days (not months) with the help of military forces.. ther was no more room for them.

I think an image can tell much more than words.

Sorry for all of that, but I feel it's important to share what's going on..

Simone

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, that picture gave me the shivers. I really appreciate your sharing this information. It an eye opener.

Bummer about your radio. At least you have time to fix it now. Also gives you a reason to upgrade! If you lived in the US you'd have an extra $1000.00 to spend on your Jeep.

Oh boy, was that last comment too soon?

P.s. I think quadratec might be having a sale on radios right now... do they ship internationally?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, that picture gave me the shivers. I really appreciate your sharing this information. It an eye opener.

Bummer about your radio. At least you have time to fix it now. Also gives you a reason to upgrade! If you lived in the US you'd have an extra $1000.00 to spend on your Jeep.

Oh boy, was that last comment too soon?

P.s. I think quadratec might be having a sale on radios right now... do they ship internationally?

i think I just will try to check the wires, I have some water coming in from the windshield (or I think so) and probably something messed up the radio!
Anyway, it's like a 20$ radio, I could buy a new one and try!
Unfortunately here in Italy the prices for what is Jeep-related are incredibly high, and the shipping/import costs make american dealers not so affordable...

I think I will also check the tire pressure and test my new manual pump, in the current situation I could check every bolt on the Jeep :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And you can find all your grease fittings too!

How's the limoncello supply? I hope Italy isn't running low...

(I hope this is good Italian and doesn't offend - COVID-19 can suca putano!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
And you can find all your grease fittings too!

How's the limoncello supply? I hope Italy isn't running low...

(I hope this is good Italian and doesn't offend - COVID-19 can suca putano!)

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
It was hard to find good Limoncello before covid19, I guess it will be much harder now!!!!

Your italian translation made me really lough, looks like a dialect of the northern Italy but I get the idea :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL! I'm glad you understood it!Years ago my husband spent some time in Sicily and that's all the Italian he can remember. He misses the home brewed limoncello and seafood. Yum!

·
Registered
197 Posts
In Australia, a country fond of its slang terms we have some new ones popping up:

The 'Rona (self explanatory)
In iso (self isolation)
Sanny (hand sanitiser)

"I told the boss I wasn't going to work today as I reckon I've got a dose of the Rona and was having to stay in Iso.

He told me to get a bottle of Sanny and while I'm at it to drink a cup of concrete and harden the [email protected] up"

·
Super Moderator
9,961 Posts
The reason folks are hoarding TP is because with 10 people in a room, if one person sneezes, the other 9 crap themselves.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts