Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Sahara 6cyl and I intermittently have the check engine light come on and code reads "Cylinder 1 misfire". When this happens the engine runs a tad rough, but not very bad. The rough idle passes and the code can be cleared usually within a hour. Engine runs very smooth and I have great throttle response.I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and even put in upgraded fuel injectors (Precision Injectors), but I still get the code 2 or 3 times a month, Is it the cam/crank shaft sensor??? If it was a cylinder issue is would not be intermittent...right?

In advance, your input and assistance is appreciated!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
That sounds like the notorious misfire caused by a bad set of weak valve springs some early TJ 4.0L engines received. My '97 TJ had the same issue. I fought that issue for years before the factory addressed the issue with a TSB. The TSB basically just says to replace the valve springs with new valve springs which uses the same p/n, they are just updated, and to clean the combustion chambers with Mopar CCC (combustion chamber cleaner).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry! I had seen the TSB during my search, but was hoping it was something else and an easier and less expensive fix. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet! I appreciate your quick response. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just fixxed that very same thing on my '97 TJ. New valve springs, "Deglazed" the valves with H2o, New spark plugs after . All is gooood now ! :)

PS: A big "THANK YOU" to Jerry for all the info !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts