Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
A friends cylinder head just went out also on his 2012. The back order may be till the end of the year or longer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a CEL light last weekend (code p0304) was idling for 15 minutes and it came on.

Haven't noticed any poor performance while driving or any other major ticking sounds but I want to take care of things before it breaks anything else.

Such a bummer to hear that the left heads are on backorder... what are people being instructed to do in the meantime, not drive? Headed to the dealership on Tuesday, hopefully they will have more information then...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just dropped it at the dealer, when I asked how long the back order is the tech said “they’re either on back order for a month or dealers have them in stock” - I asked if he could check if they’re in stock he said “it’s a bit of a pain to interact with the parts department when we aren’t sure if you need the part”, which I guess is fair.

The dealer seemed very aware of the issue when I brought it up, but seemed to think I was jumping the gun by thinking that that’s the issue right off the bat. They should be calling me later today with a diagnoses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: Dealership just called, they are still in the process of diagnosing everything and don't think they'll have that wrapped up today (still doing leak-down test, and need to do compression test next). Is that something that should have been accomplished in the ~7 hours they've had the Jeep today? Dropped it off at 8:30am and they called at 4pm. I have no clue how long the troubleshooting process takes so I'm just curious more than anything.

In regard to the head being on backorder, they said they do not have any in stock but could have one next-day if that's what the Jeep ends up needing, not sure what the "year-long" back order stuff is about above - that's a major bummer though!

More to come once I speak with them tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Update: Dealership just called, they are still in the process of diagnosing everything and don't think they'll have that wrapped up today (still doing leak-down test, and need to do compression test next). Is that something that should have been accomplished in the ~7 hours they've had the Jeep today? Dropped it off at 8:30am and they called at 4pm. I have no clue how long the troubleshooting process takes so I'm just curious more than anything.

In regard to the head being on backorder, they said they do not have any in stock but could have one next-day if that's what the Jeep ends up needing, not sure what the "year-long" back order stuff is about above - that's a major bummer though!

More to come once I speak with them tomorrow!

Good luck with getting your Jeep back in running order. Please do keep us updated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Indeed!

They’ve since confirmed that it is in need of a new head. That was on Wednesday morning. The part(s) came in late yesterday afternoon and the rep from the dealership said I should expect late Tuesday as an ETA on completion.

is that a long amount of time for a job like this? I feel like they’re super busy with people getting work done that they might have been putting off and now they have more time to get their cars/trucks/jeeps fixed due to the pandemic? I’m sure the warranty work is taking a slow lane if they don’t get paid as much. Not complaining at all, I’m happy it’s getting taken care of!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Indeed!

They’ve since confirmed that it is in need of a new head. That was on Wednesday morning. The part(s) came in late yesterday afternoon and the rep from the dealership said I should expect late Tuesday as an ETA on completion.

is that a long amount of time for a job like this? I feel like they’re super busy with people getting work done that they might have been putting off and now they have more time to get their cars/trucks/jeeps fixed due to the pandemic? I’m sure the warranty work is taking a slow lane if they don’t get paid as much. Not complaining at all, I’m happy it’s getting taken care of!
update from the dealer,

Jeep is ready to pick up (which I’ll be doing Monday morning, they close in about 15 minutes and I’m an hour out).

———————————————————
Official diagnoses:

Cause: P0304 cylinder 4 misfire, performed cylinder leak test and found has %30 leak out of exhaust valve, performed cylinder compression test and found cylinder 4 has 90psi of compression

Invoice:
Labor: $2,175.00
Parts: $891.36
Subtotal: $3,066.36 -> this is 100% covered

Concern: Pcm out of date
Invoice: flash pcm
Labor: $145.00 -> I will pay
—————————————————

I was told that flashing the PCM was necessary because of the repairs they made, which I feel like is in turn something else that should be covered.
All in all I’m $145 out but that’s cool with me. I will definitely update again to see if I notice any difference/improvement while driving or any sound reduction from the engine. Stoked to get it back!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm the friend that TRBOKEV was referring to. From reading these posts and others I see that many have had misfires on cylinder 2, 4, or 6 (drivers side). Mine is on the other side with all 3 cylinders misfiring (1,3, and 5) which is the right side if you're sitting inside your Jeep. Anyway, after a month of my Jeep sitting at a dealership, and no loaner or rental provided, the back-ordered cylinder-head finally showed up on Wednesday April 29th, but now I have a new wonderful problem thrown in. FCA has now voided my extended warranty after their inspector took a look at my Jeep and reported to FCA that I have a Teraflex lift kit on my Jeep. (What does a cylinder head have to do with a lift kit???) The really stupid part of this is that my Jeep has the old Mopar Stage 3 lift kit that was made by Teraflex. The dealership where my Jeep is sitting at is now fighting with FCA telling them that my Jeep has a Mopar lift kit, but whoever they're speaking with is acting stupid saying that they've never heard of Teraflex making a Mopar lift kit. To make matters worse they want a copy of the receipt showing the actual part number of the Mopar lift. Sadly, I do not have a copy of this receipt from 7 years ago, so I reached out to the Redlands Jeep dealership where I bought my Jeep and Mopar Stage 3 lift kit from. Redlands Jeep was able to pull some files that actually say that I purchased a Mopar Stage 3 Lift kit from them in 2013. However, they upgraded their computer system 3 years ago and as a result the part numbers from something older than 3 years are no longer on their system. In other words, I could get a copy of a receipt from them, which I did, but it doesn't show the Mopar Stage 3 lift part number on it. With all of this nonsense both dealerships are now fighting with FCA and I'm just waiting and hoping that my extended warranty isn't really voided.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm the friend that TRBOKEV was referring to. From reading these posts and others I see that many have had misfires on cylinder 2, 4, or 6 (drivers side). Mine is on the other side with all 3 cylinders misfiring (1,3, and 5) which is the right side if you're sitting inside your Jeep. Anyway, after a month of my Jeep sitting at a dealership, and no loaner or rental provided, the back-ordered cylinder-head finally showed up on Wednesday April 29th, but now I have a new wonderful problem thrown in. FCA has now voided my extended warranty after their inspector took a look at my Jeep and reported to FCA that I have a Teraflex lift kit on my Jeep. (What does a cylinder head have to do with a lift kit???) The really stupid part of this is that my Jeep has the old Mopar Stage 3 lift kit that was made by Teraflex. The dealership where my Jeep is sitting at is now fighting with FCA telling them that my Jeep has a Mopar lift kit, but whoever they're speaking with is acting stupid saying that they've never heard of Teraflex making a Mopar lift kit. To make matters worse they want a copy of the receipt showing the actual part number of the Mopar lift. Sadly, I do not have a copy of this receipt from 7 years ago, so I reached out to the Redlands Jeep dealership where I bought my Jeep and Mopar Stage 3 lift kit from. Redlands Jeep was able to pull some files that actually say that I purchased a Mopar Stage 3 Lift kit from them in 2013. However, they upgraded their computer system 3 years ago and as a result the part numbers from something older than 3 years are no longer on their system. In other words, I could get a copy of a receipt from them, which I did, but it doesn't show the Mopar Stage 3 lift part number on it. With all of this nonsense both dealerships are now fighting with FCA and I'm just waiting and hoping that my extended warranty isn't really voided.
Mine is a 2015 with the same problem and not covered under warranty. I dropped mine off on April 7th and they replaced the plugs and fuel pump before they finally called me today telling me I need the left cylinder head. Ive been getting p0301 and p0300 codes and it barely runs and won't idle. They tried to change the injectors too which are new as are the fuel pump and plugs I just did. They told me I must've put in a bad pump lol. I asked if it was a cylinder head before any of this and they said no, now they say yes after almost 1k in unneeded repairs and a month in the shop. I don't understand how they can get away with the same issues over and over again. It's also against federal law to void a warranty based on aftermarket accessories except for the accessories themselves. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

21 - 40 of 40 Posts