Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had this situation before and could provide some feedback. I started having this issue recently and I'm not sure the direction to go in. If the vehicle has been sitting for a while, it starts up and runs perfectly. However, if I drive it somewhere, even 10-15 mins away to the store or something, when I come back, it idles really rough. 9 times out of 10, I don't get the check engine light and it eventually will run fine after driving for a few mins or less. However, when I did get the code, it was a cylinder misfire (cylinder 4 I believe). Also, I don't drive the Jeep all the time, it's more of a pleasure vehicle on nice days. Not sure if that would affect it, but just giving the info. I changed the plugs when it first happened, but didn't resolve it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I bet it's an 05-06

Check to make sure your injector wires are not making contact with your manifold. 05-06 models are known to sometimes have injector wire insulation issues. Either the wires are making direct contact with a heat source or they are not insulated enough. This will cause heat soak after short drives (10-15 minutes) and often leads to a rough idle and/or misfire

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apologize, I realize that I didn't give any info on the Jeep itself. It's basically a stock 2001 Sahara with AT and 4.0 engine. I'm not sure what I'm using now for the plug type. I'd have to take a look. I got pretty much the same results with the old and new plugs. Thanks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
check to see if your jeep had the injector heat shield recall done... You will know as each one will be wrapped in heat shield.
It will look something like this... I think this guy did it himself and went crazy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts